PDA

View Full Version : Shower doors

Hobo
11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm Flabbergasted
My shower door just exploded. Yes as I sat here in my chair and wife at the desk the shower door just blew out covering the bedroom with glass. The factory just put that shower enclosure in last May as the other door was falling off and they had no replacement so they installed the newer golden colored enclosure.
Has any one else had or heard of such a thing. :?:

As soon as my heart quits pounding I will start the clean up.

Motor31
11-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I think I would have done the clean up prior to posting about it. :shock: Just kidding. Wow that is a new situation that I hadn't heard of before. It sounds like the plastic sheet was a bit stressed in the frame.

mxrver
11-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Given your experiences, do you remember....I think his cartoon name was...Joe...yes, I am remembering..... JoeBlitzflig...wasn't he the guy who always had a black cloud hanging over his head?

rverdlm
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
That's really interesting. It's hard to see how the door could be under that kind of stress and still open and close. I go with the black cloud thing!

george in azle
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I have only seen this happen once and that was in my previous Hitchhiker when I tried to drill a hole into my shower door to mount a towel rod.

The bit barely got started when, without warning... BAM, sounded like a shotgun went off and scared the dickens out of me. 16,589 tiny pieces of glass went flying everywhere, even behind the bed and into the front closet area.

That was my first encounter with safety glass.

bstark
11-03-2005, 06:12 PM
George, I have it on good authority that the new owners of your HitchHiker found the 16,590th piece of glass under the matress on your side of the bed. Haaar!

george in azle
11-03-2005, 07:55 PM
:lol: No doubt!

Hobo
11-03-2005, 10:20 PM
It was a good thing no one was in the bedroom.

osiebosie
11-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Omygoodness, that's horrible. And my biggest fear would be that I would miss a piece of glass and one of my dogs or me or George would step on it. Such a mess to clean up.

Had either one of you just recently taken a really hot (or cold) shower?

Norman Bates was nowhere around, was he??

Sharon

keithandpenne
11-04-2005, 07:33 AM
George, did you really count? Just kidding.

I have heard of windows in cars doing that from heat.

Hobo, Glad you were not hurt, (think of the mess it would have been if you had been in the shower).

I worked a claim years ago in Kansas where a wild turkey flew through a 3'x4' window over a bathtub seconds after the lady had gotten out of it. One of the pieces of glass went across to the other wall and went through both sides of the drywall.

Motor31
11-04-2005, 10:33 PM
That's really interesting. It's hard to see how the door could be under that kind of stress and still open and close. I go with the black cloud thing!

The stress is in putting the plastic in the frame when not fully formed, where the frame is holding the plastic in it's shape. Witrh a rigid frame the door will still open and close just fine.

Spooky situation, let's hope this is a very isolated situation.

AlwaysHomeNow
11-05-2005, 07:58 AM
DH just said a picture is worth a 1000 words. I cringed when I saw the pic. So sorry to hear about it. I really, really hope this is an EXTREMELY isolated event.

As if the mess isn't enough to deal with, then you have to get a new door before you can shower in it again. Hope the new door works better for you.

rverdlm
11-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Mike, I think you're right, the door is plastic not glass.

Motor31
11-05-2005, 09:48 AM
That's an interesting pattern. I would expect lexan or any other polycarbonate to fracture to relieve the stress and not shatter like that. At first glance I saw the fragments looked a bit like safety glass where they break into small chunks and no long splinters. Normally you get a crack or split, not a total fragmentation of the material. Very interesting indeed.

Hobo
11-05-2005, 09:54 AM
The doors are tempered glass and as George said it went into 16,589+ peaces. In fact I just found 3 more in my slippers this AM.
Looking at the bright side the new shower curtain is a good 30LB lighter :lol:
And to answer Sharon’s question, no abnormal hot or cold showers had been taken.
Maggi had said she thought the trailer was hunted since our stay in Vermontville, MI this spring. I'm starting to think she is right. :twisted:

Is there a exorcist out there?

bstark
11-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Just troubleshooting, but did you happen to camp anywhere near a cemetary in your travels? These M/S units might look considerably more amenable to a "transient" spirit than the regular granite headstone.

Observation: D/W can be seen in left corner of shower pic with her chin-in-hand in an obvious "what next" posture.

Hang in there, these things usually happen in clusters then you're good to go for another few years trouble free.

rverdlm
11-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I tapped on mine and I'd swear it sounds like plastic. I wonder if that's something they've changed?

Motor31
11-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Hobo,

Did you find out for sure what they are made of? My assumption ios that ours is plastic, lexan or or some other polycarbonate.

Hobo
11-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Hobo,

Did you find out for sure what they are made of? My assumption ios that ours is plastic, lexan or or some other polycarbonate.

Definitely tempered glass. Shattered like a back window of a 51 Ford.
Still finding glass peaces and have the cuts to prove it. :cry:
Will have a glass ordered when we get to Yuma, AZ in Dec., untill then a shower curtin is working well.

caddojay
11-22-2005, 08:32 AM
We've had the top bracket on the door reaplaced once, and it needs to be replaced again. It is such a soft material that it bends upward, and allows the pen that holds the door on to come off of the door. No problems with the glass, but the plastic piece on the bottom of the frame has also come of twice.

Jack in Alaska
11-22-2005, 11:50 AM
We are having the same problem as Caddojay. My bracket is kind of twisted and bent up. The pin keeps coming out even though I tape it down?????

Going to my selling dealer in Everettt, Wash. next week to get all of my little PITA's repaired before we head back to Alaska and out of warranty.

caddojay
11-22-2005, 07:40 PM
AHA! I knew this wasn't simply my problem. It seems that the metal is so soft, just the regular movement of the trailer bends and cracks the bracket. I called my dealer, and they said that they hadn't had any other complaints. I went to another MS dealer, and they were more than obliging to order a new bracket for me. I'm still in warranty, but it's easier to just buy the bracket, than to tie up the RV for a few days. When we bought the RV, our door was in the floor at our first stop. I had no idea what had happened. I replaced the door, and it's never jumped off on the road, but it came off when I opened it another time. I wonder if anybody else has had it fall off on them?

Mary Banker
11-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Here is the other shower door post.

igotjam
11-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanx...I guess I'm not alone.

Jack in Alaska
11-09-2007, 11:03 PM
After 3 yrs. I am still fighting the shower door top bracket problem. Several attempts at fixing it have failed but I had another brain storm and will try it.
My door has fallen off and leaned against the bathroom door several times but it has not broken, luckily. :x