PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel to goosneck conversion

knelson
09-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Hello, We are considering moving from a tag along to a 5th wheel. However I do not want to lose my pickup box space with a 5th wheel hitch. Does anyone have any information or advice about converting a typical 5th wheel trailer to a gooseneck application? Is that even possible?
Thank you in advance

wingnut60
09-25-2013, 09:33 PM
This is not an uncommon situation, but loses usefulness as the weight of the trailer increases. I tried it on my 17000lb Suites and the kingpin pulled out of the hitch plate. Also, this will put more stress on the section of the fifth wheel frame where the upper front part is connected to the lower main frame. Some manufacturers void the frame warranty if a gooseneck is used. If buying new, be sure to read the warranty in the manual; if used, then its your call whether to try it or not. The gooseneck hitche adapters themselves are very capable of the weights/stresses, but the frame may not be tough enough.
Joe

I would also post this question on a larger forum such as:

MyRVTalk.com or IRV2.com

Joe

hitchup
09-26-2013, 10:55 AM
We didn't lose too much space in the PU bed installing a hitch. Still have room for a 50gal aux fuel tank, a rear V-shaped tool box and misc shovels, brooms, buckets that lie in the bed when hooked up.

We also added a covered tote on the rear hitch of the 5th wheel for some things that won't fit into the basement, satellite dish & tripod, 2 - 40# LP tanks, 50' black hose and quite a few plywood squares for 6-foot pads.