PDA

View Full Version : 6 volt batteries vs. 12 volt battery

jas24
06-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Has anyone went to 1 12 volt battery vs. 2 6 volt batteries?

Having no luck with golfcart batteries from Sam's club

netjam
06-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I think it depends on the kind of rving you do. I had 2 6volts in my Elite Suite. The original Interstates gave up in the first 6 months but the Trojans I replaced them with lasted 4 years til I sold it. My current Escalade has 1 really cheap no name 12 volt. I never boondock, so really no difference that I can see. Might be different if I wasn't always plugged in. The difference to me will be in replacement cost...1 12v will be cheaper than 2 X 6v.

2blackdogs
06-08-2013, 06:33 AM
I replaced my 2-6V with 1-12V a few years ago and no problems at all.
We are always plugged in. We fulltime and I check the water level every month. Never let the water level get low.
Original batteries lasted 5 years.

Motor31
06-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I went with two 12 volt batteries. I wanted the extra amps and in case one battery failed I could simply remove it from the circuit and use the remaining battery until I was at a location to replace them both if I had to. I couldn't do that if I relied on two 6 volt batteries.

Our dry camping is minimal and the two 12 volt batteries insure we have plenty of power for the furnace during a cold winter night.

wingnut60
06-08-2013, 11:03 AM
2 6 volt Trojans--first pair went bad shortly after buying the 2-yr-old unit; 2nd pair lasted 4 years; now 2 yrs into the 3rd set which are the NAPA-branded Trojans.
In previous trailers, my 12-volts never lasted more than 2 seasons, but never had an onboard gen, either.
Joe

billr
06-08-2013, 04:07 PM
We have run the 2 6V interstates since new. Lasted 5yrs. Replaced with same. On the 3rd yr now. No issues, we do run a charge wizard. We do also boondock some.

Now with the residential fridge we will bump up to 4 6V batts. SO will be good to boondock.

I you never boondock I would put in 2 12v batts like Mike said, creates a redundancy in case of a bad batt. Also gives that extra power for the Hyd etc. One battery could be marginal in case its used some when no power and you want to run slides etc.

Bill