PDA

View Full Version : F-250 FX4 (Factory Lifted)

floncto
02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
My bed measures approximately 36" off the ground. I am picking my fifth up next week and do not currently have a hitch mounted. The king pin hitches I have seen so far will only adjustdown to 14". The king pin measures 47" above ground when level. Is there a either a king pin or a gooseneck hitch that will keep the 5r towing level?

RickandJanice
02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Even if you find a hitch that will adjust down far enough to level the 5th wheel when towing, please remember you will still need to maintain a 6" minimum clearance between the trailer and the bed rails. Unless you have a tow body or flat be on the truck, you may need to raise the trailer or lower the truck suspension back to stock height.

wingnut60
02-16-2013, 09:55 AM
When you say 'factory-lifted' what exactly do you mean? There are lots of F250s running around that tow fifth wheels without a clearance problem.
Is this truck new to you?
If the stance of the truck is higher in the rear, that is normal. You will get some settling when you put the weight of the fiver on the hitch. Rick is correct--the real concern is the clearance when hitched up of the truck rail and fiver body. I have towe with an '02 250 and later 350s up to my current 450 without a problem.
The only item you might check is the height of the spacer between the axle and the springs--2" is normal for 250; 4" for 350s. If you have the 4" it is a simple changeout to put the 2" spacer in--any frame/axle shop can do it.
Joe