PDA

View Full Version : Needed Repairs!

5thwheeler
11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Maureen and I visited with Bob and Cherri Strohofer at the Suite Rally in Ontario Canada in June. Bob mentioned that he was expanding his RV repair business and specializing in RV Suspension, Axles, & Hydraulic Landing Gear. We were invited to drop by on our way south; Bob said he’d check of our 2007 MS.

On our way to Arizona, we stopped at Robert’s Quality RV Service and Repair Shop, just outside Moores Hill, Indiana. It was late on a Sunday afternoon. Bob had us park beside his large shop and on a pad with full hookups. Dinner first, the rig could wait until tomorrow.

Next morning we raised the rig on the level-ups and Bob removed the wheels. He checked the shackle bolts – one just snapped off. That was the beginning! One (and a half) seized calipers, 3 “iffy” wheel bearings, a few worn brake pads, .. the list was quite extensive. Bob figured we had another 100 miles before we would have been “parking” at the side of the road! We had approximately 100,000 Km (62,500 miles) on the Suite.

Four days later (we took one day to drive to Elkhart for parts) the rig was finished. All new shackle bolts, 4 new Dexter axle bearings, 4 new Kodiac brake calipers and pads, 4 new upgraded shocks, 4 resurfaced rotors, and new brake lines.

The whole job was done right, and the price very reasonable!

So, Robert’s Quality RV Service and Repair is now the newest sponsor on the forum. Check out his website at www.RobertsQualityRV.com
Or give him a call at 812-655-2583

wingnut60
11-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Always good news when you find a disaster BEFORE it happens...

Thanks for the repair shop update.

Joe

billr
11-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Wow Mike! Looks like they looked after you very well indeed. Good catch on the issues.

Have a safe trip south!

Bill

bstark
11-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Mike; at 62K you've been dodging the big one for a while! Well done getting it looked at and finding all that stuff before it went "thud".

You are one of the folks who has gotten very good mileage out of their running gear.

Just half of that mileage saw me welding new upper shock mounts onto the frame, replacing all shock absorbers, a couple of the flexible brake lines, two of the crossover rigid lines on the calipers, two of the bottom spring pack shock mounts, all the spring eye bushings, and after doing all of that Trailair checked it out to find the wrong shackle plates had been installed at the factory that effectively put the suspension in "bind".

I never noticed as I was towing with a truck that weighed more than the trailer when fully loaded. I sure noticed the improvement though after an outfit that knew what they were doing had a look at the unit.

You have highlighted a very important part of this passtime: that of "preventative maintenance".

Well done, Mike and Maureen.

CherriandBob
11-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words. We are excited to be a sponsor of 5th Wheel Forum.