PDA

View Full Version : New Tires and RIMS?!!

reynoldj
10-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Totally new RVer, recently purchased a 30 ft 2007 Laredo. (Extremely pleased!). Many forum threads strongly suggest new tires in 5 - 7 years, so will do that next week. I believe that the unit has the original tires and rims on it. However, when booking the service appointment at an RV dealer in eastern Ontario, Canada, the service manager suggested that I purchase new RIMS too! :? (He has not seen the unit). If that suggestion sounds reasonable, OK, but I'd prefer to hear it from someone else who is probably not interested in bonus bucks for sales. :wink: Thank you, for your time!!!

wingnut60
10-15-2012, 07:21 PM
There should be no need for new rims unless they are ugly looking or there appears to be dents in the sealing surface where you might lose air. I WOULD strongly suggest that you put METAL VALVE STEMS in at this time.
Joe

billr
10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Maybe he is recommending a change in rim size to get higher rated tires? If not....like mentioned...no need. You do not have to go to RV dealer for tires. Any tire shop should be able to help you. My even get a better price.

hitchup
10-16-2012, 08:33 AM
We felt compelled to change our tires because of a tire failure on the 2nd day of a 3 day trip. It was almost exactly 4 yrs after we picked up our unit. The tires had DOT# showed they were 5 mos old when they were installed.

They still had great tread, no chips or cracks. But since we lost 90% of the tread on one while in transit, didn't want to risk it on any of the others.

reynoldj
10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Thank you, all for your prompt response. I have seen the suggestion of metal valve stems somewhere else ... great idea!
I hope that I can return the favour..... Thanks, again.

wingnut60
10-16-2012, 05:21 PM
As mentioned above, you don't need to go to an RV dealer for tires--you should go to a TIRE dealer. Also, be careful of the tire origin--many Chinese tires seem to blow early and often.
Also suggest that you put the highest load range on that will fit under the wheel wells without changing out the wheels. If you have "Ds" go up to "Es"--your life will be less stressful.
Joe