PDA

View Full Version : Noise from hotwater heater

ldevries
09-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I recently started getting a screaming noise from my hotwater heater when I run the hot water. I turned off the electric heating element and it still does it. Anybody else experiencing this?

wingnut60
09-29-2012, 09:38 AM
On another forum, opening some/all of the how water faucets and running them for a while cured this.
Also, shutting down the water to the heater and draining it, then refilling, should replace the air cushion that prevents the whistle.
Joe

Motor31
09-29-2012, 09:49 AM
If it only happens when the water is running it's probably the check valve at the back end of the water heater.

terry and jo
09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
In all fairness, I am the least qualified to give a really definitive answer. But, in the past, I referred to it on the forums as a "water harmonic" because it sounded like it was in one place but the problem was elsewhere.

I was also informed of the need to replace the check valve at the hot water tank. One person even mentioned that they purchased a new check valve and then waited until the water quit running.

Heh....I'm procrastinator enough to follow that advice. Below is a picture of the valve I was told needed replaced. Sadly, it is at the top of the hot water heater instead of at the bottom. The difficult access is part of my reason for procrastinating.

Terry

Walt
09-29-2012, 03:16 PM
LeRoy, Here is one for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Back-Flow-Preventer-for-RV-Camper-Trailer-/370514014231?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item56445b3017&vxp=mtr

Walt

jas24
09-30-2012, 08:12 PM
It is the check valve at the top of the water heater making your noise.
You can either replace it or take it off and take the insides out of it and put it back on.
It is a PITA to get to....but can be done.

ldevries
10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone for there feedback. I guess I will invesigate that check valve

JOHN EVANS
10-05-2012, 11:29 AM
:lol: Just had ours changed out by Paul at Ind. interstate repair, i would never be able to fit into the cargo bay or bend my arm as well as Paul did. He even sait it was a pita for him. He showed me the old valve and how it was cruded up with rust and lime, im wondering if the old 1 could be fixed by soaking it in Lime away, C.L.R. or vinigar

chevman
10-05-2012, 06:08 PM
:lol: Just had ours changed out by Paul at Ind. interstate repair, i would never be able to fit into the cargo bay or bend my arm as well as Paul did. He even sait it was a pita for him. He showed me the old valve and how it was cruded up with rust and lime, im wondering if the old 1 could be fixed by soaking it in Lime away, C.L.R. or vinigar

We had a dripping relief valve dripping most of last winter so after getting back our home in wa I removed it and soaked it in vinegar over night and most of the day. it has not leaked one drop yet. I did the air chamber several times during the 6 months of the winter season without a fix. i would replave a check valve just because of where it is.
chevman