PDA

View Full Version : Hot water heater issues.

mduquette
08-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi Folks
Just bought my first 5th wheel camper, a 2003 Jayco Eagle. When I compare the manual for the hot water heater to the actual unit it makes no sense. There is no gas valve to open and no on off switch. There is a switch in the kitchen to turn it on for electric use. It is an Atwood GC103E. It was never used so it is a bit rusty and I want to replace it but before I do I want to turn it on. I like to think I am pretty intelligent but this has got me scratching my head. Any help would be appreciated.
I am also looking to hear if anyone hauls while their gas fridge is on. The manual says it is a big non-no. My wife and I do a lot of three day weekends down Cape Cod and waiting 24 hours for the fridge to cool stinks.

Thank You

billr
08-10-2012, 07:33 AM
We have always ran the fridge on gas while on the road. No issues. It is recommended to turn it off when at fuel stations and tunnels, but I think most do not.

W/H on gas, that model number shows it is an electronic ignition. So there has to be a switch inside to turn it on with LP gas.

Bill

rotaxman
08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Agree with Bill have always pulled with the frig running without any problems.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

RickandJanice
08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Allot of units with electronic ignition on the water heater have the switch to turn on the gas valve and activate the igniter located next to the water pump switch on the tank level indicator panel. I've seen where the lettering is worn off the switches. If there are two switches on the indicator panel, I would turn both on and listen for the peizo electric igniter to start clicking on the W/H.

wingnut60
08-10-2012, 10:58 PM
No problem towing with the fridge--start it up about 2 days before you are ready to leave, then turn it off when you get home.
If you don't have a thermostat/temp control in the water heater, then you probably have the DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) model--as mentioned, there will be a switch somewhere and it should have a small red indicator with it.
Joe

Awenthomas
04-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Common hot water heater problems are Replacing Bad Heating Elements, Checking Electric Water Heater Thermostats, Pressure Relief Valves, Leaking Water Heaters and the Water Heater Drain Valve.