PDA

View Full Version : batteries

berghild424
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
it's official the batteries are now 5 years old. so what should we do about replacing them. For the truck we have always used Costco because they are so good about warranties...but what type of battery should we replace them. We still don't have solar even though we are prepped for it. If we do that in the future would it be okay to mix types of batteries. These batteries have held up well with out going to the expense of glass mat type.
your opinions are welcomed. cyndy

jdwilson3
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I replaced mine in my 06 ES with COSTCO group 27 batteries.

RonS
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
If its not broke dont fix it. Mine are still in the green on my 2006 DRV. When the time comes you can get batteries any place. I have 2 6 volt now, but when the time comes just a good 12 volt deep cycle will be purchased. I never dry camp. You asked for in put so that is mine, Im sure othrs have will also have some. What ever you decide happy RVing.

2blackdogs
07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
I replaced my 06 batteries with one good 12V.

berghild424
07-02-2012, 07:56 AM
we have 4 batteries....i always presumed that they were 12 each....I guess I'd better ask. Ours are pretty big. I remember that my friends 6 volt golf cart batteries were small in size.
We do dry camp sometimes....like this week in NH. They seem to be holding up ok. We shut off the inverter at night and still have 2/3 charge in the morning. so we run the honda for awhile at 10 amp or the big Onan at 50 amp really charges em up fast. We can only run gen for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours a night...and that's fine but I hate waiting until 8 AM to use my favorite coffee pot :-). so I make it the night before and heat it on the stove...go ahead call me spoiled.
The little freezer in the basement seems to be doing fine in these conditions. I will be glad to go back to my daughters in the morning even if we only have 15 AMP
A few days ago I thought they were only charging to 2/3 and I started to panic.

Motor31
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a pair of 12 volt batteries, type 27 IIRC. I got them from wallyworld the last time because they were the best price and were manufactured the same month I bought them. I make sure to buy batteries that have not been sitting and sulfating for more than a month. Anything that has been on the shelf longer than a month with acid in it has already started to degrade and will not provide full power or battery life.

If I can find batteries stored "dry" that means without acid in them I will take them without worrying about the manufacturing time as they are not sulfated. Activating a dry battery is easy, just fill with acid and go. I've done that many times with aircraft batteries and those are VERY pricey now.

wingnut60
07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Cyndi,
If you got the trailer new, then I would guess your batteries to be 6 volt. Are they on opposite sides of the front of the trailer?
I replaced my Trojan with NAPA 6 volts--the batteries looked identical with different labels on them.
Most Costcos don't handle 6 volt units, nor do most WalMarts.
Joe

Motor31
07-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Take a look at the top of the batteries. If there are 6 filler caps on top of each they are 12 volt. If there are only 3 each they are 6 volt.

berghild424
07-05-2012, 11:55 AM
thank you, now i am going to look at the truck and the trailer batteries so I will know what they look like! I know the truck batteries are 12 volt but I want to look at them anyway.

jas24
07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Sam's Club also has 6 volt golf cart batteries and a pretty reasonable price.

berghild424
07-06-2012, 08:31 AM
the batteries are interstate 6 volt batteries and we have 4....when the time comes it will be a big purchase. when dry camping it is nice to have all 4...i don't know if we would do well with less. depends on the weather...if we are stuck inside we will use more probably. I like TV, reading and the laptop. I don't seem to care about TV in the evening, just in the daytime if I am doing chores. thanks for all the input!

wingnut60
07-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Couple of things to remember when buying new batteries: replace them all at the same time, or an older, bad battery will take down the other it is paired to; get all the new batteries with mfg dates the same, if possible.
Joe

berghild424
07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
thank u joe...i will remember that