PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Heavy Hitch Senior Style

Haggis
06-17-2012, 02:02 PM
No need for two men and a boy to remove a heavy hitch!

An easy way to remove your heavy hitch from the bed of your truck after you have unhooked the RV.

Hang a rope over the pin box of your RV with four ends hanging; attach four hooks to the four corners of the rope, then attach the hooks to the four corners of the hitch. Push the up button for the front jacks on the RV in order for the hitch to clear the bed and down position of the tail gate, about four inches.
Pull the truck away and leave the hitch hanging from the Pin Box. The hitch will be then ready to install back into the truck when needed.

A support for the hitch can be positioned under the pin box for the Hitch to rest on if lowered. This is optional.

Geoff

RickandJanice
06-17-2012, 07:43 PM
For short periods of time, not more than 8 hours, I prefer to just leave the hitch locked to the king pin, and then do the same thing. No need for a rope :-).

Haggis
06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
For short periods of time, not more than 8 hours, I prefer to just leave the hitch locked to the king pin, and then do the same thing. No need for a rope :-).

Rick
I have a heavy sliding Pulrite hitch. If I left the hitch locked to the king pin to lift out the hitch, this could cause potential damage to the locking mechanism around the king pin.
Geoff

wingnut60
06-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Wondering how the weight of the hitch hanging from the pin could be higher than some of the forces exerted on the hitch mechanism while towing and hitting some potholes/bumps?
Joe

Motorcycle Jack
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Yea, me too. How many thousands of pounds does your 5'er weigh? A couple of hundred on the pin should be good for, let's see, - a thousands years until it rusts away?

ponch
06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
BETTER YET: I PUT A CHAIN HOIST IN THE GARAGE BACK IN ATTACH WITH A LIFT STRAP AND RAISE IT UP, SIMPLE

Pat L.
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey Guys,
I have a big oak tree for the chain hoist. Old men do it in the shade.

wingnut60
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
The shade gets you one up on me--I use an engine hoist, but it doesn't have any leaves...
Joe