PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen lights

wwc
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I have 2006 MS TK3 and I remember several years ago, some were having trouble with the switch that controls the 3 halogen lights above the sink, getting very hot. I had never had this problem until now, and even now, it does not get really hot all the time. Sometimes it just gets warm and stays at that temperature, then other times, it is getting so hot that it will burn your fingers when you turn off the switch. If any of you had this problem, I would love to know what you did to solve it?
Thanks
wwc

jwbups
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
We had that problem, and was advised to replace the bulbs with lower wattage bulbs . Have not had the problem since

wingnut60
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
The switch is hot? Take it apart an look it over--they are just wires pushed into a slot to cut the insulation. Get a real house rocker switch at Lowes/HDepot and replace it. Had to do that on the water heater switch.

On another subject, just replaced all the over-counter lights with LEDs and love them...

Joe

hitchup
05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
On our 2006 ES, DH pulled the switch plate and found wires loose and metal had brown spots from overheating. He reattached wires properly and no more problem.

Motor31
05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
The folks at the factory had a real hard time understanding that loose connections make for hot switches and wires because of the arcing. Check the spade connections and crimp them so they make a good tight connection. I had a separate switch installed just for those lights so they were just one item on the circuit and the switch still got hot because the fine amish craftsmen did not know about making sure it was a tight fit. I redid ever single switch in the kitchen because of it.

wwc
05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will check on all of the things mentioned.
wwc