PDA

View Full Version : Tire Monitoring Systems

David Schwertner
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Those of you that run a tire monitoring system; which one do you have?
Can you give some pros and cons to it.
Performance,features you like, costs, really worth the expense?
I've tried to look it up on this forum but with little success.

Thanks for any information-HELP.
Good places to buy?

Motorcycle Jack
04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
I run the TST model 507 (with replaceable batteries). It gives me pressure and temperature. Saved my b..t yesterday when the rear tire on right side trailer went low. Appears my valve stem seal went bad. Tire was at 118 in morning before I left, went up to 133 during day and then in about 20 minutes dropped to 80 and temp went up from 26 C to 35C. Stopped, air up tire went into town and got a new valve - all good today.

I'll never run a rig without a temp and pressure monitor again. Lots of them out there but TST is as good as they get.

billr
04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
We use Pressure Pro and have had it for 6yrs. Still on the original batts in the sensors. They do have to go back to PP for replacement. $25 ea.

I hear good things about TST as well. I think they have temp as well.

We will not tow without one. Has helped us several times and makes checking tire press a snap, before you roll and while on the road real time.

With the distance from cab to trailer tires, I recommend an external antenna or repeater.

Bill

golf_bears
05-01-2012, 06:57 AM
We have the TST system. Saved us last spring when a bearing burnt up on the RV 60 miles north of Vegas. Temp went up to 267 deg. and pressure up to 169 psi. System alarm went off. Without the system we could of had a fire because the tire never went flat just a lot of heat and sparks.

We'll never, never, never be on the road without the TST TPMS system.

duckbill56
05-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Bought one from DRV last fall. Had a inner tire on the truck going down last trip. Saved me trouble. EK215G system

Stripit
05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
ANY TPMS that works is better than none, I was selling the TST system when I was weighing rigs. I not only liked what that unit did, monitor tire pressures and temperatures, but really liked the way the company took care of the customers. They have two systems, one is a non owner replacement battery #510 system and a system you can replace the battery #507, both excellent. For the cost, ease of use and more features I would now go with the 507. I have heard from many of my customers that the system saved them from some further expense when it alerted that something was wrong.

rotaxman
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
What Stacey said. I have had Pressure Pro for 6 years and it is ok but I would not buy it again.

I believe the TST is the way to go I have several friends who run that system and they all have nothing but good to say about it.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

Joezilla
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
ANY TPMS that works is better than none, I was selling the TST system when I was weighing rigs.

Stacey,

Does this mean you have retired from weighing rigs??

Joe

wanderingwingers
05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a Hawkshead with a repeater mounted in the front of the Suites. I always will get a pressure leak alarm when I have driven for awhile and the pressures have risen and then we stop for lunch and the tires cool and the pressure drops. Also If I drive the truck away from the Suites I sometimes will get a no sensor alarm for one of the trailer tires. You would think that I would always get that alarm once i am out of range.

Thankfully I have not had any tire issues, I am not sure if it would notify me in time or not. So far not impressed with the Hawkshead

Stripit
05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
We are kind of stuck out here in Casa Grande and only weighing rigs as they venture by. And since it has turned hot out here, not a lot of folks venturing this way!!

ANY TPMS that works is better than none, I was selling the TST system when I was weighing rigs.

Stacey,

Does this mean you have retired from weighing rigs??

Joe

bstark
05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Pressure Pro's here for at least 5 years with no issues but as stated by others; if we were still RV;'ing I'd go with the system Stacy recommended. Most of us have aluminum wheels on both our trucks and the trailers now so a failing bearing can transmit heat to the sensor far faster than the old steel wheels and this is a VERY valuable addition to just pressure montoring.

Think of the added insurance against an undetected bearing failure ultimately causing a catastrophic wheel separation and it would seem a no brainer for me.

I used an infra-red gun religiously at rest stops for that very purpose but a system that's real-time is the way to go.

Joezilla
05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Bought one from DRV last fall. Had a inner tire on the truck going down last trip. Saved me trouble. EK215G system

Duckbill,

Tell me more about your EK215G system please. I'm intrigued by it because according their website, you can add air without removing the sensor. How do you like it?

Joe

duckbill56
05-09-2012, 06:36 AM
They fill slower, The high pressure alarm goes off when filling. Pulled a trip across Mich. last week and it was nice to have the pressures on the screen. Back tires seem to be loaded more than the front ones on the Suites. The temp went up higher by a couple of degrees. Glad I installed them. Well worth the money. Hope this helps.

Joezilla
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
They fill slower, The high pressure alarm goes off when filling. Pulled a trip across Mich. last week and it was nice to have the pressures on the screen. Back tires seem to be loaded more than the front ones on the Suites. The temp went up higher by a couple of degrees. Glad I installed them. Well worth the money. Hope this helps.

Now for the big questions............how much was the system? Did you get enough sensors to do the truck and the trailer? Where did you get it?

Joe

duckbill56
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I bought the main system at DRV last November while I was having some items installed. Got a good deal with all the other products I bought, second awing,steps,slide tray. So the price might be differant. Call the factory or give Jeff Holmes a call at company that sells them 1-843-566-4370,I bought the 6 sensors from him for the truck. I probaly have around 500 in the whole set.

berghild424
07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
we have pressure pro and it is awesome...and has saved us from some disasters but I wish I had known about the temperature monitoring thing. I can't believe I didn't ask on the forum before we bought one!
I should stop in Casa Grande this Fall and get checked out. I keep missing the Escapee Rallies where they are have the Smart Weigh!

Army Guy
07-04-2012, 10:06 AM
We also use the pressure pro. I've had it on my rigs now for the last 5 yrs and have only had to replace one sensor that went bad. It has saved us a couple times so has paid for itself already.

Joezilla
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Any body have experience with the Tire Trakker TPMS system? Their sensors are smaller and batteries are replaceable by users. Don't know much about the company though. 10 wheels is $429.

Joe

fccbandit2
07-05-2012, 03:05 PM
We just installed the Tire Tracker System and DH like the way it works and is easy to use. Gives great piece of mind. Does just what you need measures the temp / pressure. Will alert of leaks or blow outs.
Installed the system on the truck only at first to check it out. Was very pleased with the ease of operation.
But found that when we went to intstall the sensors on the Mobile Suite that the entire system needed to be reprogramed which takes a bit of time. So would suggest that you install all sensors at once. :)