PDA

View Full Version : Stains on Roof

David Schwertner
04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
While camping recently in Texas, we parked our Mobile Suites under a huge Oak Tree for 4 weeks. Our roof is now covered in gold/tan colored stain spots that just won't come out. Have tried Tide detergent, and rubbing Alcohol as described by an RV dealership.
Any one know what can be used on the roof without hurting the rubber covering?
Anyone ever tried the spray on rubber roof cleaner and conditioner by Camco? Any other products I need to try??

rotaxman
04-18-2012, 11:27 AM
David,

You might try Murphy's oil soap it was the only thing that Doubletree at the time recommended for the vinyl roofs that they were using on the 06 units.

I have used it on this junk 09 as well but it does have a rubber roof. It does a pretty good job for stubborn spots if you use it full strength.

I usually mix it with water I don't have an exact formula I just mix it until I get a real soapy mixture. It does a pretty good job but I can tell you it takes a lot of work to get a roof looking good.

I scrub it with a fairly stiff bristle brush I use a gardening pad as I'm on my hands and knees and its a long day by the time you get it all done.

Let me know how it works.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

missourijan
04-18-2012, 07:12 PM
We've used Awesome from the Dollar store for stubborn stains and it works great, BUT do NOT let it run down the sides or front or back of the trailer, it takes off wax and makes streaks down the gel coat or fiberglass. You have to use it sparingly on your hands & knees. Then we used the Murphy's Oil soap

David Schwertner
04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I tried the rubbing alcohol trick today and some of the stain did come out but left the rubber roof slick where I rubbed the stain with a rag. I was told it will dry the oil from the roof and possibly damage it in the long run.
I was told by an RV dealership to try the alcohol in the first place. Glad I only did a very small area. I might add too that my rag had some gooey stuff on it afterwards possibly the first layer of the roof??