PDA

View Full Version : Redesign of neck on trialer

Reggofcal
04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
My trailer neck hits my bed of the truck when I turn.I have a 97 Tahoe by Thor fifth wheel. It is stock neck that goes diagonal from trailer to fifth wheel. I want to cut it off and make the neck go straight out and then straight down so that it clears the bed of my truck when I turn sharp.has anyone modified a tongue?

wingnut60
04-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Depending on how heavy your trailer is, a gooseneck adapter/bed hitch might work.
Secondly, you may have an adjustment on the trailer suspension to raise it, or you could place the axle UNDER the springs instead of over (called flipping the axles) to raise the trailer.

Hitch model, brand/year of truck?

If you modify the neck (pin box) be sure it is done by a competent welder, or you might look at Morryde for a new pin box.
Lots of options to think about.

Joe

Motor31
04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
It sounds like the hitch needs to be adjusted upwards. Is there an option on yours to set the plate height higher?

Reggofcal
04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I have hidden hitch goose neck. The trailer is a fifth wheel with non adjustable adapter to the goose neck ball. I weld heavy machinery almost everyday and I trust my welds. Also I don't like the way the trailers look when you (flip the axles). I have a stock 2005 chevy 2500hd duramax.Also if I get the adjustable gooseneck to fifth wheel adapter my trailer will look like it's riding a wheelie and that can't be good for tires, springs etc. Why do they make the necks diagonal instead of striaght out then straight down to the fifth wheel? Seems like you will have more storage in back of truck also.

wingnut60
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
They do, and did, until pickups came out with short beds. Then the straight-down necks caused clearance problems with the cabs, thus the extended/slanted necks.
Your problem is simply solved: raise the trailer or lower the bed. If you come straight down with the pin, you lose clearance BEHIND the bed--'course with good welds, you could always build the overtruck portion of the fifth wheel further forward and locate the pin anywhere you want.
Hope you get it solved.
Joe