PDA

View Full Version : Between-rig communications

wingnut60
02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
In planning our AK trip this summer, we are going to need a good way to communicate between the 2 rigs. Normally, we will be within 1-2 miles of each other, usually closer. Have found in the past that in using CBs, the lead trailer will often block a CB signal going to the rear, and also block signals coming from directly behind.

Have tried several of the handhelds that promise many miles of distance, but they also suffer from the trailer blocking signals.

Any ideas?

Also looking for cell signal amps--Wilson SignalBoost?

Thanks,
Joe

Motor31
02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
A cell phone is the only thing that comes to mind other than CB. I still use a CB but the antenna is much higher and to the side on my tow vehicle.

USA in a Chevrolet
02-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Wilson makes very good products. You can find a lot of their cell & cb stuff at Flying J/Pilot or go on their website to find a dealer. Their tech suport is very good.

The View 5046
02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
We in the past used CB's. But we now use OnStar and it works for us.... You will have to raise the antenna up above the 5th wheel to get a good signal.. My Freightliner worked great, but since we went back to GM 1 ton we can use the OnStar..... I also don't have to worry because with the turn by turn I don't worry when we get separated. Good Luck with your research.. I used Cobra CB's in both Veh's and I had upper and lower channels installed and didn't have to worry about the garbage on 19. Happy Trails....

2blackdogs
02-09-2012, 08:40 AM
My wife follows in our Jeep and we use walkie-talkies. She is usually never more than a few cars behind and it works fine for us. Also have the cell phones as plan B.