PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Table-fine amish craftsmanship 2

rotaxman
01-28-2012, 09:51 AM
With my 06 when you wanted to put the extension in the dinning room table you would release the locks and pull the table apart. Both half's of the table top would move an equal distance keeping the pedestal centered under the table top.

On this junk 09 when you put the extension in only half of the table top moves. When you put the extension in the pedestal was about 2 foot off center.

When you would play cards or marble games and the person on the end of the table rested his arm on the table he ended up with drinks ,cards, marbles, game table or what ever else might be setting on the table in his lap and on the floor.

The Amish craftsmen assembled the table incorrectly and they went to a lot of work to do it. They had to cut 6 short shims and staple them to the sliding parts under the table to make it slide on that one end.

It has the track and gear mechanism which is there to make both half's of the table top move equal distances. I wonder what they were thinking while they were putting this table together. There would of been no use in having the gearing system if only half of the table top moves.

I've put up with since day one with this junk unit I finally got my fill and took the table apart last night and reassembled it correctly. It works like a charm.

I'm certainly glad that I was lucky enough to receive one of those great quota trailers DRV management should be proud of what they have accomplished with their quota based assembly line.

As always good camping
Jerry

golf_bears
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Ah, you moved the pedestal over to the side rails!!!! Did the same thing a few years ago.

Another Mobile Suite guy showed me how to fix it at the Goshen rally a few years ago. When we were at the DRV factory, taking the tour, he showed the DRV folks what to do to fix the problem. Apparently the fix hasn't been implemented yet, go figure?

rotaxman
01-28-2012, 12:03 PM
golf_bears,

I agree they don't implement anything as long as the orders keep coming in and the quota based assembly line keeps going probably won't see to many improvements in quality.

As always good camping.
Jerry

bstark
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
I remember talking to someone at the factory a few years back who stated that they were going to fasten the table to the floor to prevent it toppling during delivery transit but that they'd have to prevent the table form extending equally from center BECAUSE some dealers might leave the table fastened to the floor upon delivery to clients and the clients would then damage the wall or table upon opening for the first time.

My answer was: Jeez -Louise, maybe providing the dealer's with a suggested PDI list along with the suggested MSRP price list would prevent the stupid ones from omitting a bunch of stuff.

Their approach was obviously to re-design and butcher the table instead!

Ya gotta love their application of logic.

rotaxman
01-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Yep Bruce their application of logic escapes any logic I can think of. Both my 06 and this junk 09 had the table screwed to the floor.

I removed the screws when I got them home and have never had the table move in all of the pulling I've done with either trailer.

I think that has a lot to do with the Trial Air suspension and TriGlide Trail Air pin box.

Good to see ya checking in again you always have good advice.

As always good camping

Jerry

hitchup
01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I didn't like the 06 ES table, because I would always pinch my fingers if I tried to pull it out. And we never put out the extension because it took up too much room. It was hard to fit 2 adults & 1 child much less 4 adults.

We left it with the trade-in. The new one in the 2009 was a little unstable on the slide-out floor when you put elbows on it and leaned. We put the 09 table into my daughter's spare bedroom. The factory table makes a great craft area for my GD.

We added the new buffet/table built & installed by Paul Cross. It's not perfect, but is stable and slides out about a foot from the wall as needed. It works good on one side as a desk area pushed in. The other side or buffett top is a sleep area for the cat. :-)

wingnut60
01-29-2012, 07:58 PM
When we got our used '05, it had the non-insert table. Served us well for quite a while, but my wife always wanted the expanding insert. Found one for sale on this forum--traveled to AZ to get it, actually, as part of a vacation trip. It has worked extremely well for us, well-balanced. And neither the original table nor the expanding one had ever moved while we travel. Somehow, I also never had pinched my fingers while adding/taking out the leaf.
Have the original one stored in a closet at home, if anyone is interested.
Joe

berghild424
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
we ordered the table and chairs and received them a month or so ago. we were thrilled that it was so pretty. Last night we used it for games for the first time...you are right. what a mess with everything wiggling around. I hope we run across someone that can show us how to fix it! I hate the way it is now! And our guest noticed it as soon as we separated the leaves...it was a big disappointment.

berghild424
02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
oops. just found out Hubby put the table together ( I had forgotten) and he is not pleased to find out it is wrong. Of course this will drive me nuts until it is fixed and he is not too concerned I'm sure. I asked there were directions and he couldn't remember if there was or not.
Never a dull moment! Life's a trip isn't it.

rotaxman
02-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Cyndy,

Haven't heard from you in some time how's everything been going for you and Howard?? Good I hope.

I'll try and take a picture of my table the way it is now all Howard will have to do is make it look like mine and it should work fine.

If you find about a half a dozen little shims stapled to the under side remove those before you make it look like mine.

I'll try and get the pictures posted tomorrow.

As always good camping

berghild424
02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi there! we are fine and enjoying the winter in Yuma, AZ. Geez I love it here!
Howard is busy on his web site all the time and I try to stay out of trouble.
We were busy last year with family and are spending the Summer In New England this year with my daughter and all my nieces and nephew. And maybe go to Nova Scotia. Depending on the cash flow.
RIght now we are facing a new hitch....it's always something..isn't it. and we bought a new queen bed and are taking out the king....still stalling on that project, it is going to be tough.
thank you for the help with the table.

berghild424
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
here we go Howard is going to flip the table over and try to fix it. not usual for him to tackle it right away but he's willing and i am forever thankful for his enthusiasm .....when he decide to get something done, he does not let up until it is done! I'll keep you posted!

berghild424
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
removed shims....do we have to drill new holes for base to be screwed into? it doesn't look right now....he is measuring and i am getting nervous but keeping quiet

rotaxman
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Cyndy,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I just got Joyce home from having carpal tunnel (spelling) done on her left hand. The surgery took 13 minutes but 6 hours from start to finish.

Here is a picture of my table as it is now. You can see where there is no stain to the left side of where the base is now. That is the way it came from the factory.

As you can see there are three midered strips there that make the two half of the table top move.

All you have to do is move the base over to the middle and screw it down to the middle strips of lumber. I did not drill pilot holes and had no trouble with spliting any of the lumber. But drilling pilot holes will not hurt anything as long as you don't drill them to deep or use to large a drill bit.

Let me know how it goes its really pretty easy hope the picture helps.

As always good camping

Jerry

rotaxman
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Cyndy,

Also forgot to post in the original that DRV put some kind of cheap plastic adjustable feet on the table and one of mine had the plastic break and leave a large metal stob sticking out that will really tear up the carpet if you should happen to drag the table over the carpet.

Just go to Lowes or similar big box store and you can get new inserts that will screw into the old holes. The ones I purchased have a nice smooth metal foot that should last the life of the table. You can kinda see one in the picture I posted. Something DRV should have done but it would of cost them another 3 cents a table. So just let the customer deal with it.

Pat L.
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Jerry,
As long as we all keep rebuilding their junk then they will never make it right. I am still having problems but they are working on getting everything fixed. They have until the first of April. Axles, windows, refrigerator, heat pump, exterior finish, shower doors leaks and on and on. Gentry seems to be the person to go to as he is staying on top of getting all suppliers in gear.
Hey pal have a good one. Will talk to you later.
Pat Laurendine

rotaxman
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Hey Pat and Sandy,

I pretty much have decided to let DRV off I'm like you this BS drives me crazy and I'm to old to blow a gasket over this junk.

I would like nothing more than to get rid of this trailer but its not in the cards right now. Sooner or later though I'll unload it and there won't be anymore DRV junk for me.

Sounds like your still having your fair share of trouble I've got a permanent twist welded into my frame so my unit is done there is no repair for it.

Hope you get your problems resolved.

As always good camping.

Jerry

Motorcycle Jack
02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
permanent twist welded into my frame

So Jerry how do you determine that you have this welded in twist? Thanks

rotaxman
02-07-2012, 06:21 PM
John,

I've posted about my unit and the frame last year when I discovered that it had a problem. I will give you the condensed version.

Dinning room slide would not fit in hole correctly Paul Cross diagnosed that the unit had a frame that lost camber. Not the correct term in my mind but what Lippert calls it. It means that the frame sags in front of and behind the axles.

Lippert came to residence and made what they call a repair but it was incorrectly carried out. The repair consisted of Lippert welding steel plates to the inside of the curb side frame and one long steel plate to the street side of the frame.

Trailer is jacked up from the rear until all wheels are off the ground then the plates are welded in. No precise measurements were taken before the plates were welded in.

When you level the trailer in the living room the head of the bed is so low that the blood all runs to your head. Can't sleep in it.

When you level the bedroom then when you set in the recliners you are looking at the crown molding.

Also you can go on top of the trailer and stand at the the mid way point and see that the street side front top corner is lower than the curb side. The difference in angles are very noticeable. Also you can go stand in front of the trailer about 50 foot out and see that its low on the street side.

Measuring it out it is 1 3/4 inches lower on the street side than the curb side.

There are also numerous other doors, panels and trim pieces that do not come close to lining up or that are not level no need to measure those as you can just stand and look at the unit and see the poor workmanship.

As always good camping

Jerry

rotaxman
02-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Cyndy,

Did Howard get the table fixed??

As always good camping

Jerry

rotaxman
02-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Cmon Cyndy,

Did you and Howard get the Kitchen table fixed???

Jerry

pacbond
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
We agree with the comments on Amish quality. After five years of dealing with the dining table and chairs in our '07 32TK3, we decided to sell the table and chairs to a used furniture store. We built a new table and benches that are really comfortable. The benches have hinged seats with air lifts and have lots of clear storage. Additionally, we added a dropleaf to the island. Pictures are attached. Enjoy your travels.
Cliff

Gemstone
03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Nice work !

Regards
Gemstone