PDA

View Full Version : Detectors both LP and CO2

RonS
11-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Do they need to be replaced every so oftin?? The one in bedroom says to replace Aug 2010. But has never gone off except for when I test it. The LP is a different story every once in awhile for no reason will alarm. I have again taken the shop vac to it will see how long before it sounds again. Still working as far as I know because if I take a butain lighter by it it will sound. Thanks Ron

USA in a Chevrolet
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
LP detectors definitely need to be replaced, in most cases, every five years. The nuisance alrms are a symptom that your detector needs replacing. I have had to replace on LP detector so far.

Jack in Alaska
11-27-2011, 12:45 AM
I had to replace my LP detector two years ago as the old one started "yapping" unmercifully. Problem solved.

Now for smoke detectors............do they still make one with a 20 min. deactivate button so my 1st mate/cook/lover/mother of our children/wife doesn't go ape s--t when it goes off while cooking??? We had one on a previous rig and it worked well. It reset itself after 20 min.

01zeosix
11-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Jack,

I had the same problem as you. Drove me nuts. I finally replaced the smoke alarm with a photoelectric model that has a delay button. (First Alert makes one with an escape light for around twenty dollars at the Big Box store, Twelve dollars without a light.)

Wikipedia says, "An ionization type smoke detector is generally cheaper to manufacture than an optical smoke detector; however, it is sometimes rejected because it is more prone to false (nuisance) alarms than photoelectric smoke detectors." So look for a photoelectric smoke detector.

As a suggestion, search on "battery smoke detector with silencer (http://www.google.com/search?q=smoke+detector+with+disable&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#pq=smoke+detector+with+disable&hl=en&cp=36&gs_id=8y&xhr=t&q=battery+smoke+detector+with+silencer&qe=YmF0dGVyeSBzbW9rZSBkZXRlY3RvciB3aXRoIHNpbGVuY2V y&qesig=M5vsJMhOCthWI2ac5CCN6A&pkc=AFgZ2tlwa75iBtChb2_epH-9NzZvfr_MWSV8e6bnKPUOJc6PXwhmJCPRA9j3gZs6edYTnYUV7 2MNu43sWvNhRzVAleoFNxqkjg&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&client=firefox-a&hs=O4y&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=battery+smoke+detector+with+silencer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=eb56d7d37a8e78ab&biw=1439&bih=983)". The big box stores, department stores, Amazon all carry them.

Once you have the alarm switched out, your home will be peaceful again. Nothing like restoring a little domestic tranquility to a confined space!!!