PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice on Winter Water Hose Protection

terry and jo
10-28-2011, 08:18 PM
This will be our first ever winter in an RV. As many of you know, Jo and I are "static" full-timers here in the Oklahoma City area. As such, we have the luxury of making our hookups more permanent than traveling full-timers. What I need from everyone is an idea as to whether my thought process is overkill or underkill.

My thought was to buy the polyethelene foam tubes at Lowes that are split down the length on one side of the tubes, put our two hoses (one fresh water and one black tank flushing hose) into separate tubes, and then put both of those assemblies into something like a 4-inch PVC pipe to add some more protections to tubes and hoses as well as add some additional "dead space" as insulation.

The PVC/hose/foam tube assembly would then run from our underground faucets with some kind of insulated box placed over the faucet enclosure, allowing the end of the 4-inch PVC to be covered with that box. Then the end of the PVC/hose/foam tube assembly at the fifth wheel would be placed up into the bottom access hole of the utility compartment with some insulation added within that compartment.

In the past, we've been known to wrap plumbing with heat tape and wrapped insulation for protection from the cold. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to put the heat tape directly onto the hoses.

Would I have problems with heat tape placed within the 4-inch PVC to help add some heat without damaging the polyethelene foam tubes? Or, would all the above without the heat tape be sufficient?

OR, are there any other ideas as to how to protect the water hoses without having to take them up when it freezes?

All of our advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. A happy wife is one who can take a shower EVERY morning.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

wingnut60
10-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Terry,
Wrapping the hose directly with the heat tape won't hurt it--doesn't get hot enough to hurt the hose. I did this a lot in WY winters. But, the hose and tape will need to be wrapped in some manner with insulation that will keep the heat tape heat in. Use a small heat lamp or a large light bulb in the service bay and leave it on all the time, and have the hose and heat tape up into the bay. I have not used the foam tubes with the heat tapes--do not know how that will work.
PVC pipe or wood box would work for cover, what ever you want to do.
Have you anticipated any power outages? Ice storms can be nasty up there...
Also, for an option, there are hoses available with the heat tape already included--pricey, but they work.
Joe

terry and jo
10-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks, Joe.

It looks like the heat tape will work. If it won't hurt the hose, it shouldn't hurt the foam tubes. Also, yes to your question regarding power outages. We've had a Honda EU3000IS for several years now. I've got fuel on hand and all I have to do to use it is pull it out of the little storage shed and fire it up.

Oklahoma can be mild or harsh with winters, so one has to be prepared for both. We picked up some foam blocks at Camping World that are to fit into the cavities of the two top vent fans.

Terry

Cheif 2
10-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Terry,
Another insulating factor you may want to consider is some type of throw rugs for the slides. There is no insulation below the carpet in the slides. Another area will be the seals on the slides. I use some of the foam tubes, cut to lenght to fill in gaps along the bottom corners of the slide seals. Stay warm!
Chief

The View 5046
10-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I have used heat tape for part of one winter and I covered it with the Foam tube that Lowes sells. Shore line didn't freeze. Heat tape will work and will not harm the plastic hoses. The heat tape I used wouldn't come on until it was below freezing.
Happy Trails....

P.S. For some reason I can't post on the Suites Forum. If any of the Suites Forum MOds read this, is there a reason my post aren't appearing????????

BlueSkyRanch
10-29-2011, 08:32 AM
When in freezing weather for an extended period of time, I fill my fresh water tank and store the water hose. The dump valves are protected as well and I simply dump as needed. The propane furnace heats the water tank and holding tank compartment.

Okie
10-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a trouble light that hangs in the tank and water connection area . When it is going to be below freezing I turn it on. It has a 60watt bulb and keeps the area above freezing. I don't use my furnace that often, I have one of those low power infared heaters that keeps things warm inside. Saves a lot on propane. I keep water in the tank for those early morning showers and simply disconnect the water hose at night. BUT, I haven't been in an area that was below freezing for a long period of time. (days).

Okie

Dick D
10-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Terry,
I fill my fresh water tank and drain & store the hose. Normally we will have 3 or 4 cold days and then it will go above freezing, so I drain & refill. I do use a trouble light with a 75 watt bulb in the belly behind the storage and keep the doors closed between storage and belly. I also use a remote reading thermometer in the belly to keep up with things down there.

When it gets really cold, you do want your furnace to run so it will heat the belly and keep the pipes and tanks from freezing.
I've gone to -6 F. using this system and it was that cold for several days before I could get out of here, and find someplace warm. Don't intend to ever do that again, but the Suite kept us nice and warm without drafts

hitchup
10-30-2011, 10:05 AM
One big issue with the newer CFL or LED lightbulbs. They don't create heat like the old style, so may not help in the trouble light to warm the water spigot.

We only used the trouble light for a few weeks in Winchester, VA during March. But project was postponed and we moved to Vienna, WV. The CG owner in Coolville, OH had water fully insulated in the spot he put us in.

terry and jo
10-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I have used heat tape for part of one winter and I covered it with the Foam tube that Lowes sells. Shore line didn't freeze. Heat tape will work and will not harm the plastic hoses. The heat tape I used wouldn't come on until it was below freezing.
Happy Trails....

P.S. For some reason I can't post on the Suites Forum. If any of the Suites Forum MOds read this, is there a reason my post aren't appearing????????

Lindy,

I don't know if this would be an issue with you, but in the past I've had issues with being able to post as well. I used to use AOL which uses some form of Internet Explorer and could long on but then when I wanted to actually post it would let me.

I started using Firefox and I've not had issues since. So, regardless of what you are using now, try a different internet browser.

Also, I apologize that I didn't make things clearer. We will be living in the same place for a few more years yet. I was hoping to get a winterizing design that would let me not have to pick up and drain hoses if not necessary. Also, we are planning on getting a product called Eze-Kleen that is a type of PVC for our sewer hose instead of using a stinky-slinky.

With the slope on a PVC type sewer system, I shouldn't have to take that up either in freezing weather. OR, so I hope.

Terry

rdunk
11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Each winter, we wrapped our water hoses with the Rio Grande Valley. We never did have a freezing problem! :)

Seriously, the last winter we were in the process of selling, and stayed in North Texas until it got cold enough I needed to do something. I did go to buy some of the standard pipe split insulation sticks. After much looking I bit my tongue, and bought the rubber sticks, rather than the poly sticks, for the water hose. I don't remember now whether I bought 3/4 inch or 1 inch.

While much more expensive, I never regretted it. It did get somewhere below freezing, and I had no problem. And the rubber seems so much easier to apply, and it really does stick together well.

If I were doing it again, that is what I would do. But, it would make some difference on what low temps are expected. Disconnection is the only perfect non-freezing hose solution, in really low freezing temps.

Huck
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Terry,
We spent one winter in north west PA when my father in-law was in hospice care.
It was below zero for days at a time and below freezing for weeks at a time.
I used heat tape inside the foam insulation, then Y the hose to the fresh and flush inside the utility/hookup compartment. I also filled the lower and outer utility/hookup compartment with fiberglass insulation.
I also used a small thermostatically controlled electric heater in the utility area of the basement.
I don't know how the newer suites are built but the older ones have water lines(to the bath sink and washer) that are in the open area of the basement. I put foam tubes on them too.
After all of this, the only frozen water I ever had was one morning the water filter that hangs right next to the cold steel frame froze. And the electric heater was right on the other side of the filter, but not aimed towards it.
I also had a remote sensor thermometer in the lower area of the basement(down near the gray dump valve, on top of the insulation) to monitor the temp. down there.