PDA

View Full Version : Bad workmanship

BobW
09-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Our lower drawer under the fridge was not staying closed. I pulled the drawer out and found the roller on the slide about to come off. Only 3 screws hold the hole thing together. Also the drawer slides were connected to a flat piece of plywood. The plywood was screwed to the back with one toenailed screw. Looks like a six year old put this together. Also behind the plywood was two electrical boxes. Nobody would ever know they were there unless they took the plywood off. Really bad workmanship. The plywood doesn't need to be tall enough to reach to the top. Just screw a 2x4 to the bottom to connect the slides to. Then you'll have access to the boxes. On the back of the drawer they used those little black door locks that I've gone through a dozen of. It broke and that was why the drawer wouldn't stay closed. :?

Gemstone
09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Aw Bob...you pickin' on those DRV "engineers" again ? How do you expect them to learn if you don't want to be a guinea pig ?

All kidding aside, that under fridge drawer installation is a classic!

Regards
Gemstone

Cheif 2
09-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Amish craftsman. Sure!

Motor31
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the world of mobile suites / drv unit ownership.

Gemstone
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
In this case, I'm not sure I'd place the blame at the foot of the installer...he is merely following the plan as outlined by management, probably by someone with years of experience in the RV industry....perhaps even a trained engineer...who should know better.

Regards
Gemstone

RickandJanice
09-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I am not defending DRV or any other RV manufacturer, but I think we all need to realize that the RV and Mobile home industry has always revolved around cutting cost and weight. I personally feel that DRV makes one of the best 5th wheels on the market, but they do have a tendency to cut corners just like all of the RV manufacturers and this also shows insoem of the workmanship. Yes, this is disappointing, but considering the industry, somewhat expected. DRV has done allot over the few years they have been in business to make their units more serviceable and user friendly but at the same time, they have cut cost in some other areas to keep them affordable. I do wish DRV look closer at the workmanship on the factory floor because this could resolve allot of the issues we all find aggravating. That said, we are still very happy with our unit and plan on keeping it for a long time. Besides, most of the workmanship related issues have been worked out so why start over again!

BobW
09-11-2011, 11:14 AM
In this case, I'm not sure I'd place the blame at the foot of the installer...he is merely following the plan as outlined by management, probably by someone with years of experience in the RV industry....perhaps even a trained engineer...who should know better.

Regards
Gemstone

Really. How about all the screws that they cranked down too much, broke off the heads and simply glued the heads back in place to make it look good to the poor buyer. I don't think management told the guys on the line to glue back any screw heads.

Gemstone
09-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey now, that's a horse of a different color...we were talking about the drawer. I had plenty of those screws on my rig, and they were indeed the fault of the installer, no doubt about it. I'm mad now tho', sounds like you at least got glue....all I got was a dab of caulking!

Regards
Gemstone

BobW
09-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey now, that's a horse of a different color...we were talking about the drawer. I had plenty of those screws on my rig, and they were indeed the fault of the installer, no doubt about it. I'm mad now tho', sounds like you at least got glue....all I got was a dab of caulking!

Regards
Gemstone

Caulking is what I meant. At least I'm not the only one.

Motor31
09-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Nope you aren't the only one by a long shot unfortunately. I have changed my opinion about "Amish craftsmanship". I have told folks after the experience I have had with this rig that were I to get a stick house and the builder said he was using "Amish craftsmen" to construct it that I would fire the builder on the spot.

FWIW I have very few of the original drawer rollers in the rig at this time. I have been replacing them as soon as I see little silver ball bearings on the floor near any of them. I have yet to replace one that I redid with a hardware store replacement set.

I don't even want to talk about my opinion for how they "anchored" some of those original drawer track sets.

I have also had to redo the closet full length shelf on the kitchen side last month. They used a single (1) screw to hold up the shelf where it comes in contact with the frame next to the sliding door. The original small diameter screw sheared allowing the shelf to sag towards the sliding door. It let our "stuff" on the shelf slide forward blocking the door so it was very hard to get it open to see what the problem was.

hitchup
09-12-2011, 12:35 PM
"Amish Craftsmanship"

Gee David always blamed me for the drawer not staying closed in our 2006 Elite. It was so deep, I would put all the misc tools in there. Flashlight, hammer, shears, screwdrivers, tape measures, etc.

The Mobile Suite's is about half the size, so can only fit in half the weight.

BobW
09-14-2011, 01:50 PM
If the drawers don't stay closed, check the bottom of the drawer. There is a push latch under all the drawers. I have broken 12 of these. There the same ones as are on the cabinet doors.

"Amish Craftsmanship"

Gee David always blamed me for the drawer not staying closed in our 2006 Elite. It was so deep, I would put all the misc tools in there. Flashlight, hammer, shears, screwdrivers, tape measures, etc.

Gemstone
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I just bought some of just the "male" portion of the "Southco "J" latch....the piece that usually breaks....from nwrvsupply.com in Eugene....think I paid $2.00 a piece. They stock the large size and a small size, DRV uses the small size (naturally), however the large size is stouter, and will work, you just need new mounting holes. Northwest RV Surplus and Supply 541 746 9092. If you are traveling through, they are easy to find, on the east frontage road of I-5 in Eugene...being a surplus outlet, there is no telling what you'll find.

In case they won't ship, and if anyone wants a handful, I can pick 'em up next time I'm in town and ship 'em to you for cost plus postage.

Regards
Gemstone

rotaxman
09-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Yep I've had all of those same problems on both of my Mobile Suites. The junk 2009 by far being a much much worse trailer than the 06.

No engineering talent what so ever this junk 09 I have was a build out trailer so it had every short cut you can take used on it construction. Add the fact that all of those short cuts are setting on a defective frame I pretty much have junk.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry