PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Vent - How to clean it out?

BlueSkyRanch
07-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi ya'll We have a 2010 38TKSB with side by side washer/dryer. We use the unit frequently and I can see from looking in the outside dryer vent that it is getting clogged. Does anyone have any experience in cleaning the vent? Or am I going to have to take the dry out to do it?

Thanks in advance.

RonS
07-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Take a shop vaccume and put the hose on the exhaust side and blow it out from inside the dryer. You will be surprised on how much lint comes out.
Good Luck Ron

hitchup
07-23-2011, 12:35 PM
If it's the enclosed vent with a grill, you have to remove the whole thing to access.

Pull off the exterior cover to expose screws. Remove those and you can reach into the hole. DH pulled out most of the buildup by hand, but have a trash bag handy, because we found a wad larger than a softball. Then he finished it off with a vacuum.

Since our dryer got fried last year from overheating, we cut out the bottom of the plastic grill. Haven't had a build-up problem since. Nor do we have issues with wasps.

We bought a different type of vent, but haven't installed it yet. Similiar, but without the problem grill.

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/product/detail.cfm/nid/243/pid/512

mcfarlak
07-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I take an electric blower and blow the vent out from inside the dryer. A bit messy but I vacuum the dust away. We have the stackable kenmore washer & dyer.

The View 5046
07-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I did as Vickie did, cut out the screen (plastic) now don't have a build up in the dryer vent... Happy Trails....

BlueSkyRanch
07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the shop vac and lots of lint came out but I could still see the vent was more then half clogged. So I removed the vent cover and was surprised to still find a softball size amount of lint. Then I cut out the grill and plan to order the new one.

Thanks again.