PDA

View Full Version : replacing underbelly

GlennWest
07-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Our coach acquired a leak on black tank shortly after we purchased it used. It leaked enough to get into insulation. I spent a lot of time cleaning the lower gray tank, heater, everything that fluid got on. Cannot smell any foul odors when we open storage area. When we turn exhaust fan on, it pulls foul odor from basement area though. I assume the insulation is the cause. Is the underbelly covering easily attained? I've never seen it in stores.

USA in a Chevrolet
07-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I have seen the material in RV supply houses & you can google it. It is corrugated plastic sheeting.

rotaxman
07-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Glenn,

Do you have a washer and dryer??

Jerry

GlennWest
07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes. why?

rotaxman
07-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Hey Glenn

In our 06 and also this junk 09 if you don't use the washer for a period of time the water in the p trap will evaporate. We pour a cup full of water down the washer drain and it takes care of the problem for us.

I know in these two trailers that when you turned on the exhaust fan or fans that it would pull foul odors up through the drain pipe of the washer.

I don't know if that's whats happening with yours or not but it might be the problem. Just a thought. I hope that is what the problem is as it is an easy fix. The underbelly is another thing.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

GlennWest
07-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Washing machine is used on a daily basis. Wished it was that simple. I full time but also work full time. Make more money traveling than staying in one place. The leak went on a while unnoticed. This is our first rv and I just didn't realize what was going on until it was big mess. Spent a lot of time sanitizing but no way to clean insulation. Saturated it in borax but still odor. Not very noticeable until we turn fan on though. After this plant shutdown I'll tackle this.

RGordon
07-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't think you said if you repaired your leak in the black tank, but I have dealt with foul odors coming from the basement. They come up right through the pocket doors going to bedroom. Mine developed a leak right at the base of the toilet. Plastic of course, broke right at the base and only way to repair it was to install a wax ring like goes in a residential application. This took care of the leak that was leaking down on top of the black tank and no more rocking of the toilet. Baking soda goes a long way in eliminating odors once you dry out the area.

GlennWest
07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Mine was where the water hose flush was mounted on side of tank near the top. The flange had cracked, I assumed from over tightening, and seal was compromised. Quite a job to get to to fix. At first it just stunk when tank was full. We were very "green" about a rv and just assumed it needed emptying. Odor would go away after emptying. It got worse and I slide those panels back and got a big surprise. We've tried about everything to get rid of odor. I also replaced my commode last year and everything looked good and sealed properly on top. Planning on removing bottom, wiping everything down with Lysol and replace insulation.