PDA

View Full Version : Place to mount inverter

GlennWest
06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Going to add an inverter to my unit for a residential fridge I'm installing for power while traveling. Looking unit over, seems that in the compartment directly above battery, is the hydraulic controls and a solenoid is there. It goes directly to battery. Would this be a good place to mount inverter?

USA in a Chevrolet
06-24-2011, 04:54 PM
What size inverter are you mounting? You should mount it as close to the batteries as possible to prevent voltage drop & because you will need large cables & they are expensive. I mounted a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter to the basement ceiling in my Select. You will be much better off with at least 2 batteries.

GlennWest
06-24-2011, 05:30 PM
1000 watt pure sine wave. I have plenty of welding cable (check sig). Where I mentioned in previous post is very close to battery. My cables would be 1 foot or less plus length of cables going down to battery. They might be 2 foot max. I will upgrade them to #2 welding cable also. Is the hydraulic compartment a good location? I can see nothing negative mounting it there.

terry and jo
06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Glenn,

On our 2010 38TKSB3, we added the inverter to our list of wants. Here is a picture of the location of ours. Ours is a Xantrex Freedom SW-3000 (I think). Perhaps this will give you an idea. To the left of the inverter (on top of the box) is the front compartment where a generator would go. I believe the bank of 4 batteries is inside that box that the inverter sits on.

Terry

Motor31
06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
The hydraulic area might not be a good idea, the stuff is flamable. A leak from the hydraulic system could be unhealthy for the inverter. I'd mount it outside the compartment.

GlennWest
06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
It has plenty of electrical components and connections in there now, motor, solenoid,

Motor31
06-26-2011, 10:51 AM
It has plenty of electrical components and connections in there now, motor, solenoid,

Should the hydraulic equipment spring a leak it is likely to spread the fluid all over the place. Keeping the converter someplace where it won't get oil sprayed on it could help it stay healthy. It's your rig, do what you want.