PDA

View Full Version : Battery switch and isolator

johndglynn
05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I just want to ask the reason why we need to disconnect the battery when towing 4 down? I want to find where the battery switches & isolators (http://www.jcwhitney.com/battery-switches-and-isolators/c926j1s17.jcwx) location in the compartment. Im going to be tow behind a 5th wheel. Do you able to do this?

morscuba
05-13-2011, 06:52 AM
I have never heard that you must disconnect in the 5er. I tow a smart car and it is suggested that I isolate or disconnect on the smarty because the doors lock after 10 mph. If I have mis-understood the qustion sorry about that.

Motor31
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
The only electrical connection I have between the toad and the trailer is the 4 line brake , tail and turn signal assembly and that is a separate magnetic base light unit. (mickey mouse ear lights) I don't separate the battery from the trailer. That would shut off the fridge. If you pulled the trailer battery cable off it would disconnect the brakes from the break away switch and that is illegal as well as incredibly stupid.

The View 5046
05-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Well we have towed the Chevy HHR for thousands of miles and never disconnected the battery....

However after today we want be double towing any longer. Delaine decided she wanted a new Car. So the 2009 Chevy HHR is gone and she has a 2011 Buick Lucerne CXL.

The Chevy HHR did us a great job, but since I lost my furr kid "Montana" we no longer need the extra room...