PDA

View Full Version : Quadra Steps

hitchup
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
FYI: watch out if you pay extra for the upgrade of 4-steps. Elkhart Tool & Die only gives a 1yr warranty. Never had a problem with our 3-step version on our Elite in nearly 3 years. These steps are just over 2 yrs.

Ours had started to drop and I thought it was because we weren't on a concrete slab and the coach was dropping. Turns out the top that holds the stationary bar split on both sides.

Contacted DRV and then Elkhart once we found out who actually made them. DRV offered to give it to us at reduced cost, but Elkhart sent us to the highest price retailer on the Internet.

David blocked them up temporarily, so I don't fall everytime I walk outside. We're now debating welding or going with an alternative.

john
04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
We ordered out 4 step when we purchased our 06. So far no problems....

Carny Bill
04-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I am thinking on getting the 4 step with this next one I am going to order this summer. Would be very interested in any more pro's and con's

terry and jo
04-27-2011, 09:10 PM
We have the four-step RV steps as well. I plan on buying two different sizes of RV step stabilizer jacks to put under the bottom two steps. I figure that will help stop the flexing that is done when my 220 pounds hits each step and lessen the strain on the rest.

I just haven't decided whether to put one stabilizer jack for each step or two jacks. I may start with one each in the centers and if that doesn't suit me, I'll buy another set and place one on each side of each ot the bottom two steps.

Here is a link to some at Camping World, although I think I've seen similar ones cheaper on Amazon.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/stabil-step-jacks/5416

hitchup
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
I looked all over the Internet to see if there were any complaints about the Q-Steps. But could only find recommendations.

Elkhart T&D also sells jacks. But ironically, they say they are not needed with their Quadra steps.

I really wish we had ordered ours with the standard 3 steps and saved our money. Then continued to build a platform with block. But you just never know....

Motor31
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
We have the 3 step and use a step stool when needed.

ponch
04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
What I have noticed on our three step is that we step up on the left side in order to open or unlock the door. This is putting pressure on that left side and after a period of time it starts to sag.

Maybe there needs to be a support on that left side to correct that.

I'm sure that if we are stepping up on that left side most everyone else is also and probably not even realizing it. jmho

billr
04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
We have the 3 step. Sometimes have to use a portable step from CW and it is fine. But only need it about 10% of the time. There are also times when the 3 step is very close to ground, and I wonder about what you would do with the 4 step then?

Also had a bolt break on the RH side of the step. No sag on LH side yet.

Bill

Okie
04-28-2011, 10:11 PM
I had a bolt break at the top step on the right side also. It was a rivet type bolt tapered on the end that flared. I drilled out the small end with a 3/8" drill and replaced with a 3/8" bolt with washers and a lock nut. Works fine and was easy to do. Need easy.

Okie

Dick D
05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I replaced my 3-step with a 4-step several years ago, and have had no problems with it.
We really enjoy the 4-step and would NEVER go back to a 3 step. I test it every day with my 250 lbs and it's lasted with us full timing. It does have a little give in it when I hit the bottom step, but it's not an issue.

hitchup
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
We opted to have the breaks welded. The welder did it all the way around the rod, instead of just one small section the mfger did. Total cost: $40, 10-15 mins and they came to us.

So will repaint the steps and see how it holds up for the next couple of years.

Pat L.
05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
My problem with the 4 step is using step covers. With the springs holding the covers on (the last step) I can not close the steps. I thing I will have to secure the cover with Velcro or ???.

shergry
05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
We have the 4 step also, and had the top corners welded and 2nd step reinforced by welding. Repainted them in January and they still look good.
As for a mat covering the steps. DH took an outdoor rug (cheap black one from Wally $9.00 for all 4 steps) and cut to cover tops of step. Flat top bolts to make sure it stays down in this TX wind. Made sure when folding them up for storage down the road that it would do so with ease. Really happy with 4 versus 3, mainly because of old dogs.
A suggestion for those that stay for more than a week in a place. We went behind a grocery/mini-mart and found that pepsi/coke leave their pallets. After asking if the store was responsible or what their known policy was on these crates. Was able to take just one and cut it in 1/2 and it is perfect for support of the last step and makes it a lot easier to get in and out. I feel that when you have to open your door off the steps in order to get in that the crate gives that little height I need. Not 6'4" like DH!!
Just a suggestion.

john
05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Pat,
I just remove the cover on the last step when I am ready to travel....only takes a couple of seconds...

Maverick
04-16-2016, 07:07 AM
What brand Step Covers work on the "4-Step" entrance.

Joezilla
04-16-2016, 01:06 PM
What brand Step Covers work on the "4-Step" entrance.

We use the ones available from the camping section at Walmart. The only thing we had to do different is that the lowest step's springs that hold on the carpet get smashed and tend to fall off. We went with zip ties for that bottom step, problem solved.

Joe

Stripit
04-16-2016, 06:44 PM
I used to buy a good carpet sample, cut it to fit the step size exactly. Then got some velcro strips and cut to fit the sides of the carpet and glued with Gorilla glue to the carpet and the other piece of the velcro to the top of the step. So when we parked i put the 4 step pads on the steps. When we were about to pullout, peeled the carpet pieces off and put them into a plastic bag for travel. The carpet caught the dirt on the bottom of your feet and were not slippery when wet like some of the plastic material type of step pads we used in the past. If they got dirty, just peel them off and hose them down, hang up and let dry. If it was raining no problem as they dried fast. That is how I did it. Also made folding up the steps easy when the pads were removed and stored.