PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water Tank Collapse

rjohnsonnm
03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I just recently filled my FW tank to capacity to give it a good flush (I normally keep it about 1/3 for weight considerations). I heard a strange thump and when I looked under the trailer I saw a big bulge in the plastic/rubber underbelly. When my RV repair guy opened up the bottom he found that the tank had fallen down and was resting on the underbelly. The tank had been supported by a 1/4 in. piece of plywood and the edges were only overlapping the frame by about 1 in of the plywood. There was nothing else holding tank in place. The weight of the full tank apparently caused the plywood to sag and then it came off the frame. He welded in a couple of metal braces and replaced the 1/4 in. plywood with 3/4 in. What an amazingly bad piece of engineering by Doubletree (or perhaps an installer). Has anybody had a problem like that?
Ron

Motor31
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Nope that one is all on DRV. The frame came from lippert without any tanks on it.

RGordon
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Keep looking! There are greater engineering issues just waiting that are lot more serious than that! Just wait until the metal radius on each side of the roof becomes unfastened due to the staples backing out and pushing on the vinyl roof. As far as the fresh water tank dropping, this is somewhat a problem with many brands and should never travel with full tank. I have my doubts the Amish employees are as dedicated as once was, since they have to make production.

rotaxman
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I haven't heard of it either but have to agree with Ron and Libby. Every owner should get the chance to look inside the underbelly of their units. You would really be surprised at the Amish Craftsmen on display under there.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

JOHN EVANS
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Why is everyone saying Amish craftsmen? We have been to the factory many times,and we have never seen a horse and buggy nor a bicycle parked anywhere on the property.

anijet
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Why is everyone saying Amish craftsmen? We have been to the factory many times,and we have never seen a horse and buggy nor a bicycle parked anywhere on the property.

We were there in 2007 and saw several wives pickup husbands after work in buggys. During the tour it was obvious several, maybe not quite half, were Amish. Not that it makes the units that much better since they don't engineer them but they do have a very good work ethic.

RGordon
03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Sounds like I need to get under and see if angle iron needs to be applied across the frame supports. I believe supports can be added without removing the underbelly cover. It will just look funky!