PDA

View Full Version : Day/Night Shades

sprehoda
02-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Can any of the DRV owners tell me if the Day/Night shades are truly light blocking.

My wife is very sensitive to light at night.

If necessary, I am prepared to install 1/2" aluminum blinds in the bedroom.

hitchup
02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Only the bedroom ones. They have a black color on the 2nd one. But because of the way they are installed, they don't fit all the way down to the bottom.

We switched our main living shades in both of our Suites to dble honeycomb shades from Select Blinds online. They can be purchased in blackout style. We didn't choose the blackout because, I had curtains I made for our Elite that work on the Mobile Suite.

But we ordered them for our daughter's bedroom and they work great, even with the morning sun coming in.

Motor31
02-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I am also rather sensitive to light when trying to sleep. The shades in the bedroom are pretty good but there is still light leakage around the edges of the shade. The shades do not seal all that well on the ends. If she is still having problems you can do what I did. Foil the windows by the bed. The mirror above the countertop does a great job of shutting the light out on the other side. I have found that using the sliding door partially closed and the pleated curtain next to the bed also do a good job of blocking the light from the main trailer areas.

One thing that will really bother her is the shower skylight. No matter what you do to the windows, unless you do something to seal the skylight it's going to light up the room as soon as the sun starts to rise. I cut an old windshield folding sun block and put it above the sliding shade in the shower. That made enough of a block to allow me to sleep past dawn. I never understood why the manufacturers think block out shades are going to work when they put a freaking skylight in the bedroom with the shower located close to the bed.

hitchup
02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
We have the side bath, so don't have problems with shower skylight when bathroom door is closed. Light comes through even with the vent shade during the day.

We have fuzzy sq vent pillows in the bedroom & kitchen vents. I keep them in for winter cold and summer heat.

2 DA WDS
02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Mike, I wish they made the pleated curtain out of the blackout stuff they use on the windows. Then the skylight wouldnt be a problem.

BlueSkyRanch
02-21-2011, 07:45 AM
When it comes time to replace our shades, I will order them from Comfortex in Upstate NY. I used their shades for my stick house and they were great. I think the day/night shades are called slumber shades.

http://www.comfortex.com/index.html

Eagle1
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
We replaced our day/night shades with blackout honeycomb custom shades by budget blinds. Expensive but worth every penny, use them up and down every day with ease, and no fray dust.