PDA

View Full Version : washer/ dryer

ponch
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
What is every one using, brand wise, in side by side units.
Ladies opinion please.

The View 5046
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Whirlpool side by side........

pmkitchen
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
We have an 2008 36 RS3 equiped with the standard stacked washed dryer by Kenmore. My wife is happy with the washed, but not so happy with the dryer. I guess a 120 volt dryer is weak compared to a 240 volt unit. We can't have it all.

FritzandCheryl
02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
We also have a Whirlpool side by side.

Gemstone
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Whirlpool....going on 5 years of full time use.

Regards
Gemstone

rdunk
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
"Side by side units" - what's up Ponch?? Either you are going to install side by side washer and dryer in the back of that GMC of yours, oooooooooorrrrrrrrr....... , you are contemplating/planning on getting a new 5'er that has side/side capability, because the one you have now can't handle side by side!!!

Soooooooooo, which is it going to be???? :))

Is the "cat out of the bag", or, did you just mis-speak, in your old age""" lol lol

ponch
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Thinking my friend , thinking ----- well " maybe thing a lot
"But" maybe it's my stupid twin you're talking to. Rotflmao!

terry and jo
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Well, I've not got ANY experience with the washer and dryer, and Jo has only tested them to verify that they work. We aren't full-timing yet.

However, we opted for Whirlpools ourselves. We did a little different than others I've seen. Both are front loaders, but the washer we got has the window in the door but the dryer doesn't. At least at the time we ordered ours from a local appliance dealer, the dryer with the window was a 240V unit. So we ordered one that is 120V, and no window.

The picture I have is too big, so here is a link:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/TerryandJo/Our%20New%20Home/DSC_8013.jpg

Terry

rotaxman
02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
We have Kenmore's and are satisfied with both.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

GlennWest
02-02-2011, 05:15 AM
We have the Kenmore stackables. They really get a work out also. I'm working shutdowns and that's 7 days a week. They are run multiple times daily. Never a problem.

Cheif 2
02-02-2011, 05:31 AM
We have the Splendid stackables. They both work well, but the drier is 120V and takes longer to dry.

CherriandBob
02-02-2011, 07:50 AM
We have the Kenmore stackables. I really like the capicity of the washer. The dryer does take a little longer, but things that are heavy like towels I try to do in smaller loads. We run the units a lot at night and they don't bother us while sleeping. The only problem we have had was the tub of the washer dropped and we had to pull the unit out and work on it. It went in and out ok. A little inconvient getting it out of the closet. Went through the door of the suite ok. I wouldn't be without the washer/dryer.

Cherri

The View 5046
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
We have been Blessed to have owned both the Splendide Ariston stackable and the Whirlpool side by side. Both worked great. At first we were going with the Splendide Ariston but they would have been side by side. But Dave at International RV ask why we hadn't consider the Whirlpool. We had tried before to buy a Whirlpool but size was a problem, and we didn't want 220 volt dryer. Yes I know many have them.

We considered the Whirlpool after looking at a set of the side by side. The cost was also a no brainer. And there isn't many places you can't get a Whirlpool repaired. However we never had a issue with our Splendide.

Delaine does believe that the Whirlpool is quiter and runs very smooth. We have never owned a Washer that when it goes into the spin cycle that we didn't veel the virbration in a RV. However the dryer runs very smooth, and you can take a nap when drying and the timer will wake you in one hour.

The Kenmore and the Whirlpool at one time were the same. However today I don't have a clue who builds what or were its built or assembled.

hitchup
02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
We had the Kenmore/Whirlpool stackable's in our 2006 ES. I really wanted the same in our 2009 MS. But it would have been a special order from the dealer and we were short on time.

So I have learned to adjust to the HE frontloading Splendide side-by-sides. The washer definitely uses less water and detergent.

After over 2 years of daily use, I learned how much can be loaded to get clean and dry in a reasonable amount of time. Usually 80-100 mins on dryer, depending on type of clothing. So once the 1st load is dry, the 2nd load is done and ready to throw in.

rdunk
02-02-2011, 02:33 PM
(Double post, see next)

rdunk
02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
In our Suites, we first had the compact Whirlpool front load washer, and then had the compact Maytag front load.. In our opinion, the Maytag was a much better washer. DW did the washing, but even I could see that the "whites" were noticeably whiter. Also, the Maytag was pretty much vibrationless. If we were to do this again, it would definitely be the Maytag washer.

We had the Whirlpool 110/120v dryer throughout, and it did a good job for us.

One problem for us with the Maytag washer was... there are frontal features that made it too deep in our space for the washer/dryer closet door to close. I finally solved that problem by having the bottom of the door modified to accommodate the variance.

In addition, and just my opinion, these "executive Suites" deserve something other/better than the $5 buck 3 flapper yellow/off-white plastic dryer vent. There are several nicer looking dryer vents out there, but IMO the best looking one is the chrome vent put out by Splendide. That is what we had, and I did find it at Camping World.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/splendide-dryer-vent-kits/7894

mcfarlak
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Kenmore only, Stay away from the Splende. Our Kenmore stackable is nearly 4 years old and we have used them extensively with no trouble at all. And if you need service Sears is only a call away.

ponch
02-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Thank you everybody!

sje
02-07-2011, 08:14 AM
we are parked in south texas enjoying the warm weather and trying to ignore the occasional cold blast from the north. we have often wished we would have a washer/dryer in our suite. we have two neighbors who have motorhomes across the street. both have the splendie washer dryer combination. they both wash the clothes and take them out and go to the parks laundramat and run them thru the dryer. they say its too expensive and it takes too long to dry. our electricity is 13 cents a kw. kind of ironic to own a 400,000 motorhome and you cant afford to dry your clothes. sje

ponch
02-07-2011, 08:24 AM
sje
WOW I guess it takes all kinds.

Oh well to each his own.

The View 5046
02-08-2011, 08:39 AM
We had issues with the Splendide Combo W/D until Delaine sit down and read the manual. However I agee it take much longer and you must use smaller loads. Motor Home manufactors are begining to reconize that people who know about the Combo vs the stackable W/D aren't buying unless there is a stackable. We want ever consider a MH without a stackable and the location of the TV. The system we have in out Mobile Suites is Sweet......

porkchop
02-08-2011, 09:55 AM
We have side by side Whirlepools installed by our dealer. Love them. Our old unit had stackable. Like the side by side better.

Bill