PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel (cold weather) Recommendations

mbellerive
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I am in the market for a used 5th wheel camper (I am new to 5th wheels) and was hoping I could get some recommendations on different Manufacturers / Models that would suit my needs and are reliable / good quality.

I will be purchasing the 5th wheel in the "lower 48" and hauling it to Alaska (where I live) this summer. Since we will be using the camper primarily in Alaska, I will obviously need something that handles cold weather well. Beyond that I am flexible on the length, number of slide outs, etc. We will be using it primarily on a piece of property we own, sometimes for extended periods (1 to 2 weeks at a time).

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions...

Marty

pmkitchen
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM
We are fulltime RV travlers living in a DRV (Doubletree) 36 RS3. That is a 36 foot long, three slide unit. We love out rig and enjoy year round comfort regardless of weather. We have been in 100+ down to 8 degree weather. DRV does an outstanding job building a high quality 5th wheel coach. I suggest you go to the factory and see for yourself. I think you will be impressed.

Cheif 2
01-26-2011, 05:19 AM
We spent 6 weeks in Alaska last summer, primarily in Valdez. It was cold and rainy, but our MS stayed pretty warm although we used a 40 lb tank of propane once a week.

Motor31
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
I would recommend an Arctic Fox product for what you intend to do. They believe in good insulation and interior seals of the slides unlike any DRV product. They also do not cut relief slots in the only seal under the main slide creating flow through ventilation like DRV does. DRV slides are also not insulated in the floor or ceiling areas.

The Arctic Fox also sets their units a bit higher on the suspension, better for rough roads than does DRV.

I also would recommend you look for heat pump equipped units if possible. It will save propane in the milder cold temperatures.

If you are looking for an "upper end" full time unit then New Horizons or Travel Supreme would be your best bet in a used unit.

hitchup
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
As I sit in the DC area, with winter weather in the teens, (and snow on the ground) I'm amazed at how warm we've been in our DRV Suite. We also use about 40#'s of LP a week, but have added a 100# tank to help extend propane refills.

The only water freeze up was the line to the toilet. I get too warm when the furnaces turn on too much at night. So accidently turned the heat down too low. Water issue was solved putting a space heater in the basement.

Some of the MH's and TT's sit empty. Looks as though they left and headed to a motel once it got colder.

mbellerive
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Thank you all for your comments / suggestions. This will provide a good starting point on my search!!

Marty

hitchup
01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Update: Because of wet snow and Ice, we lost power at 8:45pm on Wed night. The batteries ran our furnace just fine through the night. By 2:30am, they were half strength, so DH started the generator to recharge batteries. After 90 mins, he shut off the generator and we were still warm and cozy all night running the furnace at 56deg.

It was a warm 35deg, so am sure that helped. By morning, the temp had only dropped slightly to 32deg.

By 8am, batteries had only gone down to 3/4. DH ran the generator until right before he left for work at 11:30am. A few minutes later, CG power was back.

It really sold me on the possibility of boondocking on an overnight stop!

wingnut60
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
We camp all the time on the road--rest areas, WalMart, etc. Also in Forest Service CGs. Our '05 serves us well for this type of outing. Travel in winter, also. I will give in to electric hookup when wanting to sleep and not wanting to run the gen for AC.

BillA
06-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Mike (Motor31),

I think if you check you will find that DRV no longer cuts a slot in any exterior seal. Not sure how long ago they changed but there are no slots in the seals of our new unit.