PDA

View Full Version : Tire Balance - or lack of.

5thwheeler
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
We are getting ready for a long trip to Idaho and back through Yellowstone and as I was looking to see when I last rotated/balanced the tires on our Dodge I though I'd check the camperss tires.
I found no wheel weights on the inside or outside of the rim - not even a mark where one was installed and possibly fell off which can only mean the factory just throws the tires on after quickly mounting them. NICE!
When I took them in for a balance we found 2 of the 4 wheels slightly bent and needed 6 oz. of weight to balance out.
After looking at another Wildcat as well as a Work&Play which is also by Forest River I found the same thing none of the tires were balanced.

This could be why there are so many tire failures - you may want to check your camper and send a letter to Forest River asking them to charge an additional .49 cents on the price of a new camper to cover the cost of the lead wheel weights.

rvman
07-19-2005, 10:46 PM
you are right no tires are balanced from the factory, In fact the wheels and tires are already mounted and ship in mass quantities to the factories were they are put on first thing as the floors are being installed.

5thwheeler
08-08-2005, 01:20 PM
After a 1200 mile trip I must say the the tire balance made a big difference. Nothing was rattled open and everything in the kitchen stayed put where as before things would vibrate all over the place. It also has to be better for the camper in the long run.