PDA

View Full Version : Window screens

RonS
10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
On the bottom crank out windows how do you remove the screen??

Huck
10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
If they are just like mine, they don't come out unless I remove the trim moldings around the window.

wingnut60
10-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Question: Why do you need to remove them? It is kind of awkward, and a pain, if you aren't familiar with them--easy to damage them, also.
I replaced the window portion of the crank part, and found out I did not have to remove the screens to do it.
Joe

RonS
10-31-2010, 09:32 AM
To clean the windows without trying to balance on a ladder from the outside.

wingnut60
10-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Ron,
I used a damp rag on both sides of the screen--seemed to work well, no dust showing. Also used a vacuum with the brush attachment first.
To me, taking the screen out is more of a hassle than the results justify--working on the outside may require a short step stool for us vertically-challenged guys.
Just be careful not to press too hard on the screen fabric.
Mine was a lot easier to do because I was replacing the windows and had the crank-out portion off while cleaning the screen.
Joe

Okie
10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Has anyone ever tried to repair the crank out mechanism on the windows? Mine is starting to skip notches.

Okie

BlueSkyRanch
10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Okie - can you post a photo? Does the crank have a 3/8" square rod going through the middle of it?

wingnut60
10-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Haven't done this myself, but looks like it might not be too bad a chore--
crank out the window all the way and the knob off the stem. Go outside and remove the 'c' clips off the crank arms and push the stems out of the holes--then just lift the window, frame and glass, up and push toward the trailer slightly--it will come off. This will give access to the crank mechanism that appears to be held on by screws.
Joe