PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner Filter Vents

mcfarlak
10-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make changing the Air Filters easier. By that I mean the screws in our 07 Elite has stripped out making the grille harder to install with the same screws. Must use larger and larger screws. Thanks to everyone who gave us a permanent fix on the basement door hinges. We fixed it from suggestions from this forum with no problems so far.

JOHN EVANS
10-19-2010, 09:55 PM
in each screw hole apply D.A.P wood putty allow to dry completly then replace the grill with your screws

hitchup
10-20-2010, 08:21 AM
We use a hint that we found on forum years ago. Knobs are added on outside of vent with longer screws.

I still need a step ladder for the kitchen, but the bedroom vents are easy to access.

Motor31
10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
After seeing that the factory only depended on the luan in the roof to hold the filter assembly in the ceiling I started looking for an alternative. I am familiar with a fastener made of sheet steel bent in a "U" shape for the purpose of mating with a screw. (I just can't think of the specific term for them right now, CRS, sigh) The "U" fits over the edge of the luan and has a large hole and a smaller hole designed to accept the threads of the screw. The smaller hole is placed on top so that as the screw tightens the entire clip then squeezes the whole thing together. The screws no longer use the luan for security and don't strip out.

rotaxman
10-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Mike,

I could be wrong probably am but I think they are called tinnermen. I suffer a lot from the same problem you have CRS

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

Stripit
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I bought bolts with small washers and pushed them through from the top down and then used a washer & nut to tighten up to the ceiling panel. So all I had sticking down was the threads, and the nut just long enough for the grill to go into place and about 1/4 inch of threads still showing. Bought small knobs that then would screw onto the threads. Works perfectly and no more grills loosening up or screws that don't have anything to screw into.

Huck
10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I bought bolts with small washers and pushed them through from the top down and then used a washer & nut to tighten up to the ceiling panel. So all I had sticking down was the threads, and the nut just long enough for the grill to go into place and about 1/4 inch of threads still showing.
This is what I also did, but with white vinyl screws and nuts and white vinyl wingnuts to hold the grills and filters on.

jas24
10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
You can also take oak strips of wood and glue to the luan, after glue dries predrill small holes in strips of oak wood. Now you can use original screws and the oak won't strip out if you do not overtighten them.

Motor31
10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Rotax,

Yup that was the name. I could recall the part just not the name. Easy fix though.

mcfarlak
10-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Where do I get these screws and wingnuts and does anyone recall the size?

Huck
10-23-2010, 10:09 AM
I picked them up at a hardware store. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes.
Probably got 10-24 3/4" nylon machine screws, nuts and wing nuts.
Just install the screws with nuts into the ceiling panel, then install the grill with the wingnuts.

Huck
10-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I picked them up at a hardware store. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes.
Probably got 10-24 3/4" nylon machine screws, nuts and wing nuts.
Just install the screws with nuts into the ceiling panel, then install the grill with the wingnuts.

Ridge Runner
10-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I did what Jack described, except I used pine strips about an inch thick, and it has worked great.

Bob

mcfarlak
11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks to all of you who posted your ideas. Finally got back here to our resort to fix the A/C vent grilles. I used the 10/24/3/4 machine screws with wingnuts. Works great! Now Changing the filters will not seem like a daunting task. Took a little time to do, but will be well worth it the next time I change the filters. Again thank you all.