PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Switch

jtm62942
10-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Where is the transfer switch located? Any suggestions on how to find it's location?

RonS
10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Transfer switch for what?? What are you trying to do?? Little more info and someone will jump in and help.

BlueSkyRanch
10-04-2010, 06:48 PM
A transfer switch is commonly used in a motor home where you have 2 sets of batteries. One for the house and the other for the motor. The transfer switch is used for 2 reasons. One is for charging the batteries. The transfer switch allows the charger to change the motor home batteries, then transfers to the house batteries. The second function is for starting the motor home. Should the motor home batteries be too low to start the MH, you push the switch and it connects both banks of batteries together to start the MH.

Walt
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I think he is referring to the automatic transfer switch that automatically switches between a Generator or shore power.

jtm62942
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Sorry for confusion... I'm referring to the electrical switch that automatically switches RV power from shore power to generator power.

golf_bears
10-05-2010, 08:29 AM
On my RV it is located in the basement. Open the panel doors and look way back in between the furnace and the converter. There will be a black box about 8"x8"x4" and that will be the transfer switch. It is really difficult to get to, really in a bad spot. DRV should have put it just behind the panel doors. There was a guy at the rally in Colorado Springs that had relocated his to just behind the panel doors, did a great job and it was really easy to service if one needed to.

Vern
10-05-2010, 12:41 PM
DRV uses the transfer switch as the "whole house surge protection system". Why, I have no idea because it does not provide over or under voltage protection. Hence, no time delay. I did two factory tours and saw them installing TRC surge protection units and assumed that was what was installed in my unit. Not so!! When I realized I had no time delay, I looked to see why.

I have no on board generator so a transfer switch is pretty much useless. I replaced it with a Progressive Industries 50 Amp Surge Protection Unit and I really like it. I also installed their remote meter unit so thatI can monitor usage inside and outside the coach.

As a side note, my unit had cable slack on both ends. So, it was easy to put the unit closer to the sliding door.

Later, Vern