PDA

View Full Version : ladder

jas24
09-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,

If you haven't done so, you might want to check the screws where they fasten to roof and the ladder fastens to the 2 brackets on the roof. Makes it a lot stronger when replaced with bigger S/S screws.

Jack

RonS
09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Jack - What size screws did you put in??

jas24
09-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Ron,

The screws that fasten brackets to the roof, used 3" long and around 1/4".
Need to drill brackets out a little w/ 13/64 bit.
Screws to fasten ladder to brackets were slightly larger than factory put in, longer than factory used.
All my screws were hex head Stainless steel.
Hope this helps

BobW
09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
You don't need 3" screws to go into 3/4 inch waffler board. I drilled out the bracket to 1/4 inch and put 1/4 inch screws in. Fill the old holes with silicon. By the way, this ladder is junk. We had two bikes on it and the ladder broke and the bikes hit the ground. DT replaced the ladder. Still junk.

RonS
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
BobW - So how long were the screws that you used for the base? What did you use as replaceent to hold ladder to base? I agree the ladder is junk, but still use it.

Thanks Ron

BobW
09-22-2010, 10:36 AM
BobW - So how long were the screws that you used for the base? What did you use as replacement to hold ladder to base? I agree the ladder is junk, but still use it.

Thanks Ron

Considering the roof plywood is only 3/4", I used 1.5 inch lag screws. The screws are 1/4 inch. I had to drill out the bracket to accept the screw. I got a piece of 1/4 inch plate about 4x4 inches and placed it under the bracket. Screwed it to the roof and screwed to bracket to it. Still I don't use the ladder.

Jack in Alaska
09-27-2010, 12:56 AM
You are correct that the ladder is not of the best quality but it is sufficient for the occasional use that it gets of occasionally climbing up and down from the roof. It is made to climb up and down on the roof and that is it.
It is not a bike rack or chair hanger or flag pole holder. Not designed for that.
A bike hanging on it going down the road continuously wiggles back and forth, up & down and in and out. A flag pole does the same thing as well as chairs. That ladder just can not take that kind of abuse. Buy a bike rack that fastens to the trailer frame or a hitch on the trailer. Those are plenty strong for that use.

Now that being said..........I wish that DRV would use a little more care when installing the ladder.

jas24
09-27-2010, 05:16 AM
I have the hitch for a DRV, the 2 brackets that get welded to the frame and the bike rack for sale if anyone is interested......