PDA

View Full Version : Hand rail going up to the bedroom

RonS
08-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I have replaced the screws with larger size, but they continue to come loose. Not much wood back their, any ideas of a fix? We try to be gental with the hand rail but it is most always loose.

Okie
08-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I have the same problem. I haven't put in larger screws yet but thought I would try taking the screws out and putting a dab, just a dab of liquid nails on it and putting it back in and letting it set for a day before testing. Just a thought.

Okie

chevman
08-22-2010, 04:26 PM
If the screws were screwed into a wood backing you can slide in a small slim piece of wood with some glue on it and then the screws should tighten up. This is what should fix the problem unless nothing is behind the wall plywood. I help Alaska Jack on his pocket door and we had to remove the hand rail but it tighten ok after reinstalling the hand rail.
chevman

BobW
08-22-2010, 08:44 PM
I made new ones. The old ones were only 3/4 inch thick and have no support. Mine are 1 1/2 inches thick.

wingnut60
08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Moly-Bolts?

Joe

Huck
08-23-2010, 08:26 AM
I moved mine and put larger bolts in it.
I think I moved it just a little, so that the old hole would still be covered with handle.

My DW has had RA for over 30 years(4 knee replacements, one ankle fused), so she has to have a good secure handle.

JohnandMarla
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
If none of the fixes work, another idea you could try. Find a local woodworler and have them fab up two braces that would extend to the step and rest on the under side of the handle. Have them larger where the rest on the handle and contoured to your liking at the step end, attach with wood screws to the wall and cover with wood plugs. This way they could be removed if needed.