PDA

View Full Version : Roof Soft Spot

dlc1223
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a 2007 MS, purchased new 1/15/2009. Just resolutely I found a soft spot on the roof. It is by the bathroom skylight and dish. It is a 1.5 sq ft area. No leaks inside. I'm in it fulltime and no leaks. Factory has said to take it in to a dealer. Has anyone had a problem of this sort? :?:

chevman
06-20-2010, 07:32 PM
If you have a fan at this location maybe removing it will show the underside. It should be fiberglass insulation that is easy to move around.
chevman

hitchup
06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Our 2006 ES had a leak at the skylight during the first 2 wks. It was noticeable, with water dripping into the shower. Caulking wasn't on underside, only on top and it had failed. So you should be able to remove the inside cover with a few screws to see if blocking is wet or possibly missing.

billr
06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
We had a soft roof in front of the front AC unit, it did leak inside eventually (thats when I found the soft roof)

Ended up having to remove the AC and pull back the roof cover and replace two sections of plywood that was rotted. We also had a smell inside. It was the roof AC installation that caused it, no seal installed in the front edge.

Dealer looked after it all. No charge.

Bill

Motor31
06-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Water will travel an amazing distance before getting to the interior of the rig. Look at every caulk seam on the roof. If there are any cracks in the caulk get a tube of DAP self leveling caulk for EDPM material and cover the cracks. I have found that I have to do this about every 3 to 6 months as the previous caulk shrinks with age and exposure. If the crack is on the vertical surface use the non self leveling caulk so it doesn't drip away from where you put it. Both are usually available at RV parts and supply locations. Make sure you clean the surface before applyng the caulk.

bstark
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Tongue-in-cheek reply here: with all the caulking and re-caulking these things seem to need to keep them from leaking, keep those tire pressures up with all that additional weight being added on a frequent basis. :lol:

Motor31
06-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Tongue-in-cheek reply here: with all the caulking and re-caulking these things seem to need to keep them from leaking, keep those tire pressures up with all that additional weight being added on a frequent basis. :lol:

I'm to the point where I am going to try using the eterna tape to seal the caps. I'm tired of having to re caulk the seams every few months. I think the eterna tape should probably be a factory install to begin with given the expected flexing of the unit.

JOHN EVANS
06-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Had a soft spot in the roof by the vent fan, Paul Cross replaced new wood and roof vinyl . Again Paul did another wonderful job, he and his brother worked until 9 pm to finish up the job because we were headed out for Tn. in 2 days

Gemstone
06-07-2013, 07:34 AM
"I'm to the point where I am going to try using the eterna tape to seal the caps"....good idea !

I used Eternabond on the infamous center seam in the roof, for the same reason...caulking would not last.

Regards
Gemstone