PDA

View Full Version : shock absorbers

wingnut60
05-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I think I have seen the Monroe shock number sometime in the past, but can't find it with a search. Anyone know what the replacement shock number would be for my 2005?
Thanks,
Joe

wingnut60
05-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Did some digging around, found this Monroe site:

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/products/trailer_retrofit_kits.asp

As an addition to my first post, does anyone know if the part numbers for the heavier shocks at the bottom of the page are the ones I need?

Also, saw a post that indicated using the lower mounting holes for the springs might cause a shock problem? That is what I am fixing to do--raise the trailer, and want to replace the shocks.
Joe

bstark
05-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Yep, you gotta be careful to measure the stroke length of the shock and make sure you are still in the range when you lower your mounting points.

When I took delivery of mine in 05, the dealer here in Canada put the suspension into the bottom holes and on the first trip to the Southwest I broke the upper shock mounts off the trailer frame from hyper extending those shocks when going over gentle whoopdedoos.

wingnut60
05-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Bruce,
I would have expected the shock to break first--must be a weak setup DT put in.
Joe

Motor31
05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Wingnut, you have no idea how weak some of those shock mounts on the frame were. Mine were just stuck on with about 3 tack welds each. No bead, no penetration of either the frame or mount metal, just welding rod slag. I had to get them professionally welded later when one broke.

anijet
05-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I raised our TK3 up to the highest factory setting using the original shocks. The shocks have long studs at each end and I made ~.5" (I forget the exact length) spacers that just fit over the studs before sliding the washer and rubber grommet on. This lengthened the shock to work fine with the lengthened distance of the mounts. Have traveled over 2,000 miles with no problems.

BTW, I have inspected the welds on our unit and found them to be normal production quality.

wingnut60
05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Leo,
Thanks for that info. What were you doing to go so far into the hubs/brakes? and disc brakes also?
And your spring mount is again a third type that I have seen--3 mounting heights?
Joe

anijet
05-30-2010, 06:13 PM
We had a bearing failure on the road and I changed the axle while at the Cabela's RV park in Sydney, NE.

wingnut60
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
So you pulled the axle and fixed it yourself, or had an axle shop do it?
Joe
Looks like you had your hands full.

anijet
05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Story here.

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782&highlight=

wingnut60
05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Leo,
That is impressive to see that you did the entire replacement by yourself--pretty sure I would have had to have some type mobile service do it for me.
Thanks for the info on the shock spacers--I will be doing that when I move my axles.
Interesting to see the spring mounts on the frame--yours is the only one I have seen pics of that has 3 different levels to attach the springs, and looks a lot different than the mounts on mine.
Joe

Huck
06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I also extended my shocks like anjet did.
I used about 3/4" extentions on both ends of the shocks.

dimiurg
07-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Story here.

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782&highlight=
interesting story

chevman
07-29-2011, 10:53 AM
[quote="wingnut60"]Leo,
That is impressive to see that you did the entire replacement by yourself--pretty sure I would have had to have some type mobile service do it for me.
Thanks for the info on the shock spacers--I will be doing that when I move my axles.
Interesting to see the spring mounts on the frame--yours is the only one I have seen pics of that has 3 different levels to attach the springs, and looks a lot different than the mounts on mine.
Joe[/quote

The spring hangers are called Leland jake adjustable spring hangers. We have the first alpenlite with the adjustable spring hangers.
chevman]