PDA

View Full Version : Leaks

dpbrushaber
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
We have a 2007 Mobile Suites 36TK3 and have just noticed moisture in both back corners in rear floor. It was enough moisture to blacken back legs of side tables and stained carpeting. Where do I look for possible water entry, I haven't found any obvious entrance points.

Thanks for your help...

Motor31
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Water can travel a ways. Is this from when the unit was stored or are you full timing so it's level all the time?

A couple ideas. If the slides are out and it's leaking look at the wiper slides to see if there is anything keeping them from making good contact with the slide walls. Water can track in that way.

Check the windows. On our rig, none that is ZERO windows had been sealed with caulk around the edges. There was a bead on the top flat edge but that was all. We had a window in the slide that leaked like a water wall when it rained. The factory repair was to put a bead around the top and sides, then the window started leaking shortly after. I pulled the window and found that the seal putty they used was installed in the side edges not on the flange that mates with the wall. Wide open water access to the wall and inside of the trailer.

Look at the roof seam on the cap where the roof mates with the fiberglass. There may be cracks in the caulking or the seam may be lifting up. The factory assembly workers had a habit of using small screws and breaking them during assembly. They then stick the broken head of the screw into a dab of caulk and moving on. I have lost count of the number of broken screws on my rig. I now check the roof and caulk lines at least every 2 or 3 months looking for cracks.

Check the sides of the rig for broken screws on the trim strip that goes on the mating surface of the cap and sidewalls. If there is a crack in the caulking there or the strip is lifting from broken screws water can get in there as well.

Those are the most likely sources of water at the rear of the rig.

Red Ram
04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Motor31 said,
"Check the sides of the rig for broken screws on the trim strip that goes on the mating surface of the cap and sidewalls. If there is a crack in the caulking there or the strip is lifting from broken screws water can get in there as well'.

This is where the water got in on mine on one corner. I found several screws broken and a crack in the caulking let water run in while trailer was in transit durning a storm.