PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone stoped air incomng by the windows

GlennWest
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
How about it. They is a lot of air coming in by the glass. Have not pulled window yet. Anyone tackled this?

usandthreedogs
03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Glenn, In our current 5vr, my wife did the clear plastic storm windows from Home Depot. stopped the winter drafts completely. Visibility is excellent and when installed as per instruction with hair dryer, the plastic is very tight and wrinkle free. She also made some window quilts out of the R-foil insulation.
Cheryl cut pieces to fit the windows, then sewed material on one side to match the walls. she then applied velcro to the window frames and to the quilts. Nice tight fit and removable for the summer. for clarification the window quilts only cover the bottom half of the window so we can still see outside. hope this helps.
as a sidenote, we were hoping not to have to do this with a new mobile suites, but sounds like once again we'll be putting her creative skills to the test!

Barney

wingnut60
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Not all MS have the draft problem--ours does not. But we don't live in it during the winter, so maybe we would have the problem, don't know.
Certainly, the MS lineup is one of the best available for cold weather living, but they still are not a house.
Joe

gypsybill
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
No drafts with ours... and we live in it and it has been fairly cold and windy this year in Lower Alabama.. have never felt the need to put anything in or on the windows... if I was in the frozen North somewhere, it might be different.. but with wheels I will find warmer weather...

maltruck8
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
We have notice no air around windows. We live in ours full time. Presently in Ocean Springs, Ms. This winter has been colder than normal, but our Mobile Suite has been great at keeping us cozy.

usandthreedogs
03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Glenn,
just for clarification, is the wind coming between the window and the frame or the frame and the wall? Got to thinking about this today and recalled that we had the dealer replace the end windows on our slides.
Long story short, the tardo at the dealer didn't install a gasket between wall and window! you couldn't keep a candle lit next to those windows!
had the dealer get me a roll of gasket and did the job right myself.
last time I took the house to a dealer for anything.
just a thought

Barney

Huck
03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
No problems with drafty windows here either.
But,
You could plug your weep holes. Or cut some of that 1/2" insulation board to fit into the wood trim frame for extra insulation if you only have single pane windows.[/u]

wannabe
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Thermopane windows....makes all the difference!

GlennWest
03-06-2010, 01:33 PM
There is actually air coming in. I sit next to window. Usually in tee shirt. Left arm will feel like ice. A draft is definitely there. Warmer now though. Think the weep holes would let in that much?

Huck
03-06-2010, 05:28 PM
The warn air near the cool window will create an air flow with no air coming from outside.