PDA

View Full Version : closet doors rubbing on hangers

berghild
02-20-2010, 01:55 PM
i am using the shortest hangers that i can find and still the shoulders of my clothes run on the doors...eventually i have little holes in every thng that i own.
we dropped the rod down a little but it still rubs. i have thought of taking off the top facing and moving the doors out an inch...then replacing the facing with one that sits ouside the frame instead of inside the frame.
has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?

layne
02-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I'll be curious to see the replies. We have the same issue on the inside door, which is on the passenger side of the closet. I have to push the clothes sideways before sliding the door shut, but this is not really a solution to the problem, just a way of working with it.

berghild
02-20-2010, 08:31 PM
i am also anxious for replies. my attempt at a solution will only gain me about an inch i think....I HATE my closet! it is inadequate for full timing and 4 seasons of clothes. i tried a minimal amount of clothes and it was very boring.

Huck
02-20-2010, 11:29 PM
On my 2005 I moved the rod about an inch.

berghild
02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
we moved the rod an inch also and also dropped it about 1 1/2 inches...that didn't help. it's the pits.

GlennWest
02-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I also find the closet to be a bummer. We are full time and I can't hang up most of my clothes.

Motor31
02-21-2010, 03:14 PM
If you use wire hangers you can bend them into a curve to shorten the length a bit. Just another wonderful design from DRV. The folks who design these things should be required to live in one for at least a month to see just how dumb some things that they do are.

berghild
02-22-2010, 06:59 PM
i agree

bstark
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
The bedroom slideout surround has some clearance to allow for movement out of the entire front of the wardrobe sliding door framework. BUT; here's the thing, they wanted to boast of a King Bed and how to do that with it's wider platform AND also have room for your feet to exit the front side of the bed without twisting an ankle in a foot-trap at the side of that bed or having you leaning way over to allow your hip/bum to clear those doors. Hence, the very shallow closet which requires your clothes to sit cock-eyed before shutting the doors.

Were I to order another, it would be a queen bed and I'd ask them to move that whole door framework towards the rear of the trailer so it would just clear the slideout surround giving much more room in the closet. The wall outlet could also be deleted for us as we've never used it.

berghild
02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
this makes me smile. have to have the door open so my butt won't wipe out the closet doors! I have the king bed...li would cut the frame down to size and put in a queen if Howard would let me! I am going to move the door to the edge and get another inch.
I do use the outlet as that is where i sit and pluug in the hair dryer.

RodeWorthy
02-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Seems to me the owners of the side bath units have even more stringent space limits. The early ones had no traditional rod - clothes wer hung on hooks parallel to the wall. I know that has been improved - how is it working out for those with newer SB models?

FWIW, I moved the rod further back into the closet. It us better but not ideal. My big issue is lack of shoe storage and I intend to rectify that this summer.

hitchup
02-25-2010, 08:11 AM
On our 2009 SB, our closet has shelves on left side and hanging area on the right. Hanger's rub only when in locking position. But since I keep the doors reversed most of the time or open on one hanging side, there's plenty of clearance.

I would eventually like to eliminate the rear mirror door. But haven't figured out what to replace it with.

2blackdogs
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
I too had the hanger problem so I took out the plastic strip they supplied to hang the hangers on and put up a piece of 1" conduit tubing. I lowered it and moved it toward the front of the closet just so the hangers cleared the front. Now the doors operate the way they should.
Bob

wingnut60
02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Bob,
How did you attach the 1" rod--to either side, or hang from above? Pics?
Thanks,
Joe

Gemstone
02-26-2010, 07:53 AM
We have a 36TK3, and are plagued with the same silly closet arrangement....

I have been in the "pondering" stage for some time, now I need to move forward with the plan. The plan: Remove the wooden shelf, trim it down and relocate it up about 10-12 inches. Remove the clothes hanger from the bottom of the shelf, cut it in 3 pieces and reposition it in a front to back configuration, rather than side to side. Now those "Wonder hangers" that the DW purchased should work without the clothes dragging on the closet floor, and there should be more access to the floor area to get at the shoes that seem to multiply in the dark...
I'm just not sold on those wonder hangers yet....the clothes do seem to get wrinkled. My casual stuff is of no concern, but my wife's uniforms should look nice and crisp. We also have the luxury of having the cargo trailer for jackets, motorcycle clothes, etc, and the closet area in the big truck for seldom used business attire.

Anyone who beats me to the punch, feel free to post photo's.

Regards
Gemstone

Gemstone
02-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Modification is done...This does fix the problem of not enough room for standard size hangers.

Wooden shelf and hanger has been removed. Some time ago, I had installed a wire shelf about 12" above the wooden one...this is where I hung the "wonder hangers". In 25 linear inches of old "side to side" hanger space, I was able to place 20-25 garments on 4-5 wonder hangers, now in the "front to back" configuration. One of the hooks on the wonder hanger was removed so the hanger would hang higher off of the floor. I poked one end of the wonder hanger up thru the wire shelf, used a sacrificed plastic hanger (cut in 6" pieces and slid into the vacant hole in the wonder hanger) as a means of holding the wonder hanger up. Should be able to fit 60-75 garments in the closet, 3 rows of 20-25 garments. This also allows ample room below the hanging garments to see and reach the shoes stored on the floor of the closet.

I'm off to the store for more hangers, will post photos when I'm done.

Regards
Gemstone

berghild
02-26-2010, 02:23 PM
awesome....i can hardly wait for the pics!!!!!

berghild
03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
still waiting for the pics

Gemstone
03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry, I've been waiting until I finished a shoe shelf on the bottom of the closet...please stay tuned.

Regards
Gemstone

berghild
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
a shoe shelf! awesome. we can hardly wait!

Gemstone
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Sorry for the delay...have also been digging footers for the place here in Yuma, and building an irrigation diversion control box...

The Wonder Hanger solution to clothes rubbing on the doors:

The original closet shelf has been removed. I had previously installed a second shelf above, and this is now where the wonder hanger brackets attach. The hooks were removed to gain more height (see photo) and the bracket now hangs from a 5/16 dowel, which slides forward or back on the shelf. Seems we still have too many clothes, but the solution works. The shoe shelf helps control the proliferation of my DW's shoes.
One additional photo of a shelf I added to the short closet below the bedroom TV, to house DW's jewelry box.

Closet (http://picasaweb.google.com/goodwinfarm/Closet02?authkey=Gv1sRgCKfKwrbFm7G0Wg#)

Regards
Gemstone

berghild
04-04-2010, 01:04 PM
thank you for the pics. we are in Yuma too.....at the Escapees KOFA KO-OP on E county 17th. I think we are leaving on Tuesday.
how far from the top is the shelf now?

berghild
04-04-2010, 01:13 PM
oh now i see whre you posted the measurements for the shelf.