PDA

View Full Version : shower drain declogger?

berghild
02-20-2010, 01:51 PM
just recently i read a recipe for a natural way to unclog the drain.....but of course now that i need it, i can't find it. it seems like it involved vinegar. anyone have the cure?

hitchup
02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I remember reading this tip on an email newsletter I get, but can't find it either.

But as I remember it's similar to the following that I googled (Binged). There are many versions, but this looked simple:

Unclogging the Drain
Option #1
Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar. Try heating the vinegar in the microwave before adding it to the drain. Wait 5 minutes before flushing the drain with 2 quarts of hot water. You can repeat this process a few times if it is necessary. If this is the first time you have cleaned your drain in a long time it may be necessary to repeat the baking soda flush a couple of times.

RGordon
02-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Commode plunger and little water works great.

berghild
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
plunger might work today....but i think tomorrow the gunk would still be there...i think i'll try the vinegar thing.,,,,,thank you everyone

LindaH
02-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Then, once you get the drain unclogged, go out and buy a stainless steel mesh drain trap. It will catch 99% of the hair that would otherwise go down the drain.

A couple for your kitchen sinks is a good idea, too. Even if you wipe dishes before washing, you'll be surprised at how much "gunk" those mesh traps catch!

missourijan
02-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I was going to try the vinegar & baking soda thing but thought I would take off the drain "cap" first. The vinegar & baking soda would not have helped. There was hair & gunk caught and hanging there. It was icky & gross. I will assume yours is the same, take out the center screw and remove the drain cap. It made a huge difference, didn't need to use the vin & baking soda at all.

berghild
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
yeah i pulled all that gunk out of there too, but i think i will try the other just to clean the pipes......i read just recently about doing a thing with vinegar through the whole fresh water system...kind of a flush to get rid of the desert minerals