PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Fender Caulk

cptxguys
02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know the manufacturer / product information for the bronze colored caulk used to seal the wheel well fender flares to the aluminum skirt?

I've seen it on the forum in the past, but it appears some of the historical information has been archived or purged.

I'm looking for what was used on my 2005 unit.

Thanks,
Robert

Gillesm
02-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Call the DRV they will send you some.

wingnut60
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Mine is an '05 also--looks to me that the caulk was painted over with the lower color. Will be interested in knowing if there is colored caulk. Also, both sides are showing stress cracks--need to think about replacing them.
Joe

cptxguys
02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
It's actually a colored caulk. I had gotten the supplier/information off the forum back in 2007 and ordered it online. The only problem is now I can't find what to order!

wingnut60
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
If anyone gets some sent to them, let us know the part number to order it, please.
Joe

jas24
02-09-2010, 08:10 AM
DRV told me the caulk is clear. They do have colored caulk also as that is what was used on mine from the factory.
Fenders on mine are both loose and pulling away.
They said they need more holes in them to hold them tight.
Be careful if you drill more holes where you drilll.

cptxguys
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I contacted DRV, and yes, it's true...they no longer use colored caulk. They now use clear silicone.

However, I was able to find out that they previously used Geocel 2300 Tripolymer Sealant. I'm not sure of the color, but I beleive it's Bronze, but I'm still investigating.

The manufacturer web site is
http://www.geocelusa.com/php/oic/product.php?prdb_product_id=7

The distributer (in Elkhart) website is
www.geoceltransportationproducts.com

There's also an informative video about the product on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=104852536207683

Gillesm
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
The color on the tube is PEWTER

Motor31
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
If you are planning on doing a color matching for it I would NOT use silicone caulk. That stuff will not allow the paint to stick to it and it the reason why my rig has always had paint flaking on all of the caulk seams. I would think something like the non leveling DAP lap sealant then a small bottle of paint would work out better.

bstark
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Those of us who had the previous series of fender trim without the full length reinforcing in the back of them that resulted in them splitting from different rates of expansion between the aluminum lower body panel and the plastic in direct sunlight and had to replace one or both fender trims, here's what we gleaned:

05 previous (original) caulking - Geocel 2300 MHRV vehicle body sealant Pewter #6304

Later number designation was changed to Pewter #0737

contents:
Tetrachlorethylene CAS# 127-18-4
Aromatic Hydrocarbon Cas# 64742-95-6
Thermoplastic-Rubber Cas# 66070-58-4
Hydrocarbon resins Proprietary (colour)
VOC compounds less than 4% by weight

Specifically formulated for Heavy Duty Truck - Trailer Truck body applications including the RV industries.

You can probably still get this stuff via autobody shops or truck repair facilities if you need it.

ishie
02-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know the manufacturer / product information for the bronze colored caulk used to seal the wheel well fenders (http://www.jcwhitney.com/fenders/c1032j1s17.jcwx) flares to the aluminum skirt?

I've seen it on the forum in the past, but it appears some of the historical information has been archived or purged.

I'm looking for what was used on my 2005 unit.

Thanks,
Robert
hi there are you still in need some fenders? ive been selling mine for a lower cost. please let me know.thanks.

2blackdogs
02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
How much and are you in SoCal ?

Jack in Alaska
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
I have two new and painted fenders in my shed for my 2004 MS. I am guarding them with my life. Will install them at sale time as both of my fenders have cracked. One I replaced 4 yrs. ago but it cracked again. I caulked it with the pewter caulk and basically it looks like hell. My technique was not good obviously.
I would like to obtain several tubes of caulk though to re-caulk other seams that have cracked.
If anyone finds a source let us know.

Jack in Palm Creek #288 for the winter.