PDA

View Full Version : Gray water pull valve question.

OB
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
The gray water pull valve that you pull the handle to open the valve is real hard to pull. It's almost impossible to push back in. It has been repaired twice by a local dealership. I have fixed it twice myself. The problem seems to be the way they routed the cable. It's in a sharp bend and I don't see any solution except to relocate the whole assembly to somewhere else on the trailer. Have any of you folks had the same problem and been able to correct it? I would sure appreciate any help. Thanks OB

Diesel-Gypsy
01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I know what your talking about old buddy.
I just keep mine lubed up as best I can, but you're right it is badly executed, with that tight bend.

Hopefully someone has a fix.

Rick

JOHN EVANS
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
i experienced the same problem with black and gray , i contacted dtrv and charles told me to pour 1 gal. of vegatable oil in the drain and toilet let them set for awhile and that would fix the problem if i did it a couple times a year

Gemstone
01-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Wonder if Charles was hired as a cook or an engineer...

I can understand how oil might keep the plastic pipe slick, but someone would have to explain how that oil will migrate out of the pipe and up into the looped pull cable assembly, which is the real problem.

Regards
Gemstone

JOHN EVANS
01-29-2010, 07:58 AM
im think charles wastalking about the gate valve getting lubed not the cable

Stripit
01-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I have seen an electric valve and it might be the easiest answer to the problem. No more cable binding up and sticking.

OB
01-29-2010, 09:25 AM
The electric valve idea sounds good to me. Got a link or number for one?

golf_bears
01-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a similar problem with my black tank valve not being able to close it completely. It’s a real mess dealing with emptying the tank. I can pull the cable out but it is nearly impossible to push it back in.

As per DRV’s suggestion, I put cooking oil in the black tank thinking it was a sticky gate valve. It did not free anything up. All it did was gum up the tank so that my SeeLevel (exterior tank sensors) does not work properly now.

I tried to trace the black tank cable to determine if it has a kink in it but I can’t reach in far enough to feel the entire cable.

Now have the black tank gate valve and cable on my fix up list along with a few other items for my next visit to a DRV dealer.

Gemstone
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
"im think charles wastalking about the gate valve getting lubed not the cable"

John....I understood what Charles was attempting to accomplish, but the gate valve assembly is not the problem, the cable routing is the issue. Trying to lube up the gate valve, while it may make the valve operate smoother, is only masking the real problem of poor engineering.

Regards
Gemstone

Jack in Alaska
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Has anyone come up with a way to get some type of lubricant down that cable??? Some silicone in the cable would solve the problem.
My gray water valve is really tight but with my 300 lb. a-- pulling and pushing on it so far it has worked.

Stripit
01-30-2010, 08:39 AM
This is the electric unit I have seen and it does work.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=290

JOHN EVANS
01-30-2010, 09:16 AM
we are getting older so we need a lot of exersize so i say let boycott the electric dump and stay with the hard to pull manual dump

Motor31
01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Whatchew mean "we" there willis?? I am not getting old. I'm mellowing and I'll belt anyone with a hammer who disagrees with me. :twisted:

JOHN EVANS
01-30-2010, 11:48 AM
im glad your a mello fellow lol