PDA

View Full Version : Nev-R-Lube Axle Hubs....Your Experiences, Please???

terry and jo
12-30-2009, 10:11 AM
We seem to be getting closer to ordering a Mobile Suites, but since I am an old-timer and former truck driver, I have some questions regarding the Nev-R-Lube hubs on the Dexter axles. The question comes because of my concern for a very important aspect of a vehicle that says it doesn't need periodic lubrication.

What experiences have all of you had with regard to the Nev-R-Lube axles?

Do you wish you had the ability to service the hubs periodically?

I am aware that any mechanical device has the potential of failing, but is there anyone that really thinks the Nev-R-Lube hubs are a bad deal in comparison to normal hubs?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Terry

wingnut60
12-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Terri,

You seem to have an extensive check list for your ultimate DRV fifth
wheel.........this will be like building a new house, sometimes what seems like a great idea in construction turns out not to be so great in a few years. However, the Nev-R-Lube bearings are a no-brainer--don't worry about them, just get 'em. Have had them on three trailers in a row, never a problem with any of them. I think the warranty is 5 years--you won't get that on any manual-lubed bearing, I don't think. Not sure you can get a DRV without them?
Joe

anijet
12-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I had a failure on the road at around 30,000 miles. I believe it was caused by the spindle nuts being over torqued when initially installed. I have since replaced all the bearings and properly torqued the nuts. I would get them next time and just loosen and retorque the nuts prior to traveling much.

Story here (http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782&highlight=)

rverdlm
12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
I have them and this is the second trailer that I have them on. I put them on my last trailer along with MorRide IS and disc breaks. Mine were the first set that MorRide had ever done. I've had no problems. When a few others had issues that I heard about on this and the HDT forum I became concerned and called Dexter for advice. They said that if I was concerned (mine are out of warrenty and they claim that they have had very little issues with them) I should once a year jack the wheel of the ground and check for end play. There is a spec for that and it's in the manual. BTW that is a lot easier than repacking bearings every year and the only failure of a wheel bearing I've had in the 15 years of full timing was on an axle that had been service less than 6 month before. I say go for it!

Stripit
12-31-2009, 08:54 AM
It appears to be one of those products that work as advertised. It is rare to hear of a failure and the never having to repack is so much easier than the old way. But as others have said, never lube does not mean never inspect. I would recommend buying them.

Motor31
12-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Going on 5 years now and well over 30k miles with ours. No issues yet. (knock on wood)

bstark
12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
It's funny, I was skeptical as well, but I think they're a real improvment over those E-Z-Lube jobs. I use an air/hydraulic jack to once a year pick each wheel off the ground and do the "deflection check" to see if there's any excessive 'wobble' of the wheel from top to bottom and so far so good going into our fifth year as well.

Along with the Dexter hydraulic discs, they've given me no problems at all.

edt
02-10-2010, 07:08 AM
I put 50k on a 14,000 sunnybrook with no problem if I had a choice would demand them