PDA

View Full Version : Towing with an F-150

demontanker
11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey all, first post so don't crucify me...
I have a 2004 F-150 Supper Crew short bed. I am intersested in the possibilities of pulling a short (23'25') 5th wheel. Has any one done this? I am looking at the Pullrite Super Glide hitch and know it would have to have the right demensions on the King Pin in order to not make contact with the cab. Any thoughts, other than "get a travel trailer..."
Thanks

LindaH
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
The first thing you need to determine is just how much your pickup is capable of safely towing. Don't pay any attention to the published tow rating since that is for a basic pickup with no options, no gear, a partial tank of fuel, and only one 150# driver.

Load your truck up like it would be for any trip with a full tank of fuel, you and all the passengers and gear that will be loaded into the pickup and go get it weighed...if you don't already have the slider hitch, add at least 200# to the weight you get.

Now that you have the "real life" weight of your loaded pickup, subtract this weight from the pickup's GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)...that will tell you the maximum loaded weight of any fifth wheel you should be pulling. When looking at fifth wheels, as long as the GVWR of the fifth wheel is equal to or less than the number you got above, you should be OK.

Next, subtract the "real life" weight of your loaded pickup from the pickup's GVWR (Gross Vehical Weight Rating)...this will be the maximum pin weight it can safely handle. When looking at fifth wheels, assume 20% of the fifth wheel's GVWR as the loaded pin weight.

demontanker
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
To easy, thanks for the quick reply :D

wingnut60
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
If you get the trailer, also look at the Sidewinder hitch--it will also allow clearance for the cab on a short bed truck.
Joe

billr
11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
If your Ford has the 5.5' bed you will have a hard time getting the clearance when hitch is mounted in correct position. A slider may help in tight turns when parking, but even a regular turn on the roads can get too close on that short of a box. The auto slider may help, but add a lot more wt compared to a std type hitch to the truck that you can't spare.

I saw this thread on another forum that has a load of comments to review from folks that have used a similar truck. Maybe it will help you.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23353636.cfm

Motor31
11-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Travel trailer or 5th wheel you are still going to be limited to a light weight trailer, somewhere around 7,000 lbs or so. That would also be the max or gross weight of the trailer too as no one uses or tows an empty one.

demontanker
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all of your replies guys. You are all hitting on valid points. And yes it would be a light weight small set up. I am not looking to pull a 30' footer cross country. This is just for short trips to the coast with the wife and pooch. Not gonna be living in it...
Thanks again for all the info

wingnut60
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I assume you have looked at the website and warnings for the f150 supercrew? If not, here is a link:

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_limitations.htm

It looks more complicated than I suspected--best you call them with some measurements. With the high bed rail, you have to be cautious of more than just hitting the cab--the hitch box will probably damage the bed in a sharp turn, especially if on an angle.

Joe