PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cooktop Grill

BillA
09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
The grill on top of our gas stove has rubber gromets on each of the four legs where the legs penetrate the top of the stove. I guess these gromets are supposed to keep the legs from falling through the holes but it is not effective on the back two legs. They do fall through and the grill comes to rest on top of the back gas burners with the grill angled down toward the back of the stove. I thought that might be due to the countertop cover setting down on the grill as opposed to resting on the ledge on each side of the stove, but that does not appear to be the problem. I am considering going to a welding shop to have a washer inserted over each leg of the grill and welded at the appropriate height but before I do I thought I would see if anyone else had a solution.

Thanks for the help.

bstark
09-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Those grill tops are porcelienized and will rust after any welding is done to those ends. On ours there is a 'step' bent into the ends of those short legs to prevent that from happening and perhaps you just need to bend the legs towards each other to tighten their grip in those grommets?

vmc4820
09-26-2009, 02:48 PM
You may want to call DRV. We had a problem with ours in the beginning because one of the grommets had cracked. They gave me an extra set of 4 since these do crack and break over time especially if you are not careful when you lift the grate out to clean. If you try and clean by only taking the grate out part way and not straight up, the grommets will also crack. Good Luck.

BillA
09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Our grill has that "step" bent into the legs too but the bent section just pushes on through the gromet. The weld/rust factor is a good observation. I will try bending the legs some and see if that helps.

RodeWorthy
09-26-2009, 10:01 PM
This is a very common problem. I bought a replacement set of grommets at RV Connection in Yuma. I agree with Barry and Vickie it is necessary to be very careful when lifting and replacing the grill. It needs to be lined up directly into the grommets and then lowered slowly. No tipping or inserting one corner before the others. Since replacing the grommets we have had no further problem by following this method. You might want to try this before trying to bend the grate which might cause even more problems. Forcing the grill into the grommets will just cause them to pop out of and fall through the holes.

wingnut60
09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
If the metal leg with a porcelain coating is bent, the coating will crack.

layne
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
This has been a pet peeve of mine since we've had ours. I've replaced the rubber gromets twice in three of the holes. I think it is a poor design, however, I had a similar problem in our previous fifth wheel, so it's not just this stovetop. I've now got four packages of the gromets since I know I will need them. I called the company that makes the stove and they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, so got them at the RV dealer. I've decided it's something I'll have to live with and will have to replace them regularly.

morscuba
09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Mine were split grommets. I found replacements at Camper World. I'm sure any RV parts place has'em

Whirlwind
09-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I had the same problem but replace ours with heavy duty rubber gromets I found in the electric department at Ace Hardware store. They fit tighter and handle the heat better; and so far not a problem one.