PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear tire failure

GlennWest
09-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Well I had my second g64 failure. The Goodyear dealership the failed tire is at is recommending I get a Korean made tire. His words are Goodyear trailer tires aren't worth a !!!!!. The Korean one is far superior according to him. I looked at the tires and they are narrower but same height and also 14 ply. He also said he would get me the g64 if I wanted it and at $225 each. Goodyear pd me over $400 for other tire. He added he had never had a tire separation like the g64s with these tires. Said he'd been selling them for over 10 years (I asked). I forgot name brand. Sorry. What's your opinion about this?

RGordon
09-09-2009, 11:00 AM
My opinion is if the Goodyear dealer can steer you away from their name brand, then this will get them off the hook as far as liability goes. Goodyear has been good about replacements and paying for repairs to your rv if it was a result of their tire failure. I would recommend that you stick with the Goodyear's and always remember all you have ever heard about salesmen. If my Goodyear dealer made a silly proposal to me like yours has, I would go to another dealer.

billr
09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I have to agree with what Ron said. No one else will cover your repair costs if a tire damages the trailer and also replace the tire. I think they will cover it for 5yrs??

Glen, since you have had a second tire fail, yours may well be in need of replacing for age and exposure or extended parking (previous owner). Stick with the G rated Goodyear.

The Korean tire is most likely a Khumo truck tire.

GlennWest
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Goodyear is leaning toward replacing remaining tires. These tires are only 3 years old. Finding a repair center is hard. I don't stay in any one area long. By the time I get an estimate for repairs and Goodyear settles I'll be in another town. Did some damage this time. Broke trim around fender, bent shock (it still works though) and really banged up the metal covering overhead. There is a gap between frame and flooring. Also destroyed sewer pipe which I replaced. Drove for 3 hours to find the bayonet piece. I'm getting the remaining 3 tires regardless.

billr
09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Glad you are getting things sorted out. A friend had similar damage that GY covered, he made a new sheet to cover the area above the tires. DRV will have the fender skirts all painted as well. Just call them to get one sent to your location.

For the Sewer pipe, I shortened mine so it no longer comes out way back in front of the tire. It is ahead of the slide now. Hopefully out of harms way.

Hope you have better tire luck in your future.

Bill

GlennWest
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Yea, I shortened mine too. Basically glued bayonet directed into new 90. It's behind tire now. Bad part is this town I'm in. Can't seem to get an estimate for Goodyear. :(

Stripit
09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
As far as the sheet metal above the tire goes, mine also was damaged when my tires lost tread. I opted to go to a duct work sheetmetal shop to have a new piece cut. They made one about 2 ft longer, and about 3 times the thickness, bent the end and sheared to my measurements, for about $20 bucks. Slid right into place and fit like a charm. I don't expect to have it damaged again.

As far as switching brands of tires, I've heard some real horror stories with folks trying to get some off the wall tire company to pay for tire damages to their rigs. Seems like Goodyear is much easier to deal with and they don't make you try to find their number is some obscure foreign country.

GlennWest
09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
How long do the Goodyears last? True, my tires history is unknown but 3 years is not very long. I do believe when my brake cable unhooked while making a very hard backup I damaged the tires that failed. This was on dirt though. Tire problem happened next pull and then the second pull. Same side that I drug about a foot before finding out problem. I understand payment with a unit this heavy would damage a tire but I can't phantom while it would damage it on dirt. I did make 2 uneventful pulls before this also. If tires are this easily damaged they aren't much good on an rv. I just want this problem to go away. New tires coming. Just leary of Goodyears.

macie
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
If you will by pass the Goodyear dealer. (They are trying to sell tires), Call Goodyear Damage Claim in Akron, Ohio. 800-322-4682. State your claims and they have the Authority to authorize free to you 5 new tires, pay for repairs to your rig and pay for motel if you can't stay in your rig durying repair.
If you play your cards right, here's the deal. If you have one tire go bad you can get one tire. If you have two tires go bad you can get Five at NO CHARGE. I have seen this happen time and time again.
Good Luck
I got mine

GlennWest
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh I already have a claim started with Goodyear but you have to drop your failed tire off at a Goodyear dealer. Also Goodyear told me that the dealer would have to look at my other tires and make the call to replace all of them. He took one look at the failed tire and said he didn't need to look at the rest of them. All the tires needed replacing. He has no problem selling me G64s. Just recommended a different tire. The only tire I have read about separating is Goodyear. Maybe others but haven't read about them on forums.

GlennWest
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
They're also no place in this town that wants to give me an estimate. Will have to wait till this job is over and I hit the road again. Bummer.

wingnut60
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Glenn,
Based on all the discussions I have seen, Goodyear is the ONLY company that stands behind both the tires AND the damage caused by tire. BUT, the G614 seems to have more failures than others. I had 16" 614s on my trailer and it was really overloaded from the factory. I upgraded to 17.5" wheels/tires---check out www.trailertiresandwheels.com for this. I now have Michelin XTA LR J (4805lbs) tires and 17.5" wheels and my tire troubles seem to be over. Confidence in tires/wheels is a BIG deal when running one of these big trailers
Joe

GlennWest
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I shouldn't be overloaded. Can't put but so much in a 33' MS.I kept meaning to stop at a truck stop and weight my home but the last time I pulled was Sunday. Had plenty of time, not rushed like usual, but everything closed. Hopefully next pull, soon to be too.

larry_electricguy
09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
2 weeks ago I had a tire seperate. 6000.00 dollars of damadge to rv. local goodyear dealer sent tire to ohio. I filled out claim. tires had around 9000 miles on them. Dealer too tread depth reading a guessed they had less than a 1000 miles on them. Haven't heard from goodyear but i'm not driving another mile on existing tires. today I received my 4 new 17.5 wheels and tires. Hopefully goodyear wiil pay some.

jas24
09-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Glen,
I had the same problems with these tires. Call Goodyear and tell them you do not feel comfortable having the other old tires on your RV. They reimbursed me for the 2 that blew out on the road, paid for damage and replaced the other 3 (including spare ). I did have to pay for mounting and balancing.

Hope this helps,
Jack

rverdlm
11-08-2009, 07:50 AM
We have the G114 Goodyear tires(17.5 H rated). Yesterday on our morning walk around I found a tire that looked like the tread was separated on further inspection I found that there were 3 with pieces of tread missing. I replaced all four and the old tires are being sent to Goodyear. I will keep you posted on how Goodyear responds.

Huck
11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
rverdlm,
How old were your G114's?
About how many miles?
Did you keep them covered when not traveling?
What were their date codes?

bstark
11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Dave; our unit #2367 has already had each tire replaced because of either tread separation or an unbalance situation so extreme that enough weights required to correct it couldn't be installed on the rim and they simply got so bad that they were shaking the rig to bits. So now I've got four tires with different date codes. The next round will see them all replaced with Michelin's or some other brand with a better rep.

If yours are the originals You've done well indeed!

wingnut60
11-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I made the change from 16" to 17.5 16 months ago--couldn't be happier with the tires--Michelin X XTA in Load Rang J. About 4800lbs apiece load rating. I think Michelin says speed-rating is 62, but have had no problem running at 65-70 in 100+ temps.
You might consider these tires if not going with Goodyear.
Joe

GlennWest
11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Goodyear pd for the failed tire. Also estimate for rv repairs. Refused to pay for remaining tires though. I did replace them though, including spare.

rverdlm
11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
The tire are about 4 1/2 years old & have about 30K miles on them. I didn't check the date code yesterday, but I did check it when the trailer was new and the tires were new at that time. Yes the tires have been kept out of the sun, they've never been parked on anything but concrete for more than a few days, I only drive about 62 mph max, I run Pressure Pro's so the pressure is always maintained, I've weighed each individual wheel and the tires are well under capacity. If GY doesn't pay for the tires I will certainly go to Michilins next time. I really wanted to go with 235/75 tires this time, but since I think GY should cover at least some of the cost of the new tires I went ahead and stayed with GY & 215/75.