PDA

View Full Version : Elec/propane line supports

wingnut60
07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Two of the plastic supports that keep the electric/propane lines to the kitchen slide from mangling have broken. One is fixable, but the one below the refrigerator (front of kitchen slide) is destroyed beyond repair. Got a replacement support, but the holders (that slide on the support) are also broken. When I got the new support, were the holders supposed to be included? All I got was the long flat plastic piece that connects to the frame/slide. And the loopholes on the holders have no separation--looks like they were slid onto the line at assembly, then the plastic support added.
Any ideas? Originally, the plastic was bolted to the frame on one end and to a bracket that hangs from the slide floor--and from the pieces that are left, it would seem the original was put on so that there was an "S" bend when the slide came in instead of a single bend--and the new plastic has an aluminum pole to pivot on that wasn't on the original.
Probably there is a way to fix this that someone has already figured out?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe

billr
07-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Joe,

Replaced mine a few years ago when it broke. Same deal as you describe. Just screwed the frame side as previous (cut off the mount on the plastic strap) and on mine, its also screwed to the slide side as well.

Now it just broke again after 2 yrs right in the center. I did a quick splice repair with a chunk of the old one I kept. Will make a new one later when I have time out of Galv Metal (painted). Buddy of mine did that and its much better than the plastic crap they put in. Still flexible enough.

Bill

Motor31
07-19-2009, 10:56 AM
As far as threading through the holes is concerned you are either stuck with breaking the line down, re threading it or using something like zip ties through the holes to hold the lines. You might also try some adele clamps those are the loop clamps over the hose that are secured with a screw to whatever you are hooking the lines to.

The plastic they use is a pretty cheesey operation.

ponch
07-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I went to the hardware store and purchased a set of piano hinges, cut them to length, and replaced the plastic with the hinge.

Going on two years now and haven't had any trouble again.

RickandJanice
07-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I used the same repair method as Ponch. I found 6" heavy duty nickel plated door hinges at Home Depot. Installed these about 2 months ago and so far have not had any rust issues as they are also weather resistant coated. Also used stainless steel screws on the frame side and stainless bolts, nuts and washers on the plastic strap end.

Talked with several DRV owners at the rally in Goshen and that also used door hinges as opposed to replaciing the entire strap. I also heard that this is the method that allot of dealers and RV repair shops recccommend since thes straps will continue to break at the attachment points from wear if there is no pivot point.

wingnut60
07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions--my biggest problem is how to get the lines held to the strap, since 2 of the 4 holders are broken also. The hinge idea is a good solution for the pivot, and the clamps I will look into.
Joe

Red Ram
07-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Thumbs up here for the hinges also. I had one of the plastic supports break shortly after I bought mine. I used brass hinges at the frame. I also did the other one before it got a chance to break. Two years later, still working good.

Haggis
07-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Did the same repair as posted. Installed piano hinges.

sr
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
As far as the holders go, I would pop a couple of holes in the plastic "web" and use tywraps to keep the cables bundled to the webbing.

wingnut60
07-20-2009, 01:03 PM
sr...thanks to you and Motor31 for suggesting this. If I get the 'web' on ok, then will use this to hold the lines.
Joe

Motor31
07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Wingnut and any others using zip ties, make sure you use a method of securing that does not allow for chaffing of the lines. If you just use one tie through the holder and the line, the line will rub against the zip tie and cause wear. Use about 3 zip ties. One around the line alone, one through the holder and a third that goes between the two other zip ties. That puts the wear on the ties and not on the line. You can then also tighten the ties around the line to prevent shifting while you are moving. Frankly it's a better system than what they used at the factory that allowed movement of the line in relation to the holder. A hole in the propane line is not a good thing.

wingnut60
07-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Nor is a worn electric line--found it the hard way. Guess the cord had been rubbing against something since the webbing broke--got a pretty good tingle while trying to figure out a way to mount the replacement webbing. I cannot figure how to use the replacement--the original was screwed to the frame pivot-point forward. The slide side connection had the pivot point facing rearward. Best I can tell, when the slide came in, the webbing had to double bend (S shape). Both ends were screwed to the frame or slide--the replacement webbing has an aluminum pivot that the original did not have (the other 2 webs on the trailer have the alum pivot). There is no way I can see to mount the alum pivot rod--nothing but the slide floor to bolt it too--and the slide floor is very thin.

This type of line support sucks big time for being done correctly--no way can you expect plastic to continue to bend in the same place and not come apart. I have the hinge-to-the-frame figured out, but the other end has me very confused--will continue to mess with it, maybe I'll find an MS on my upcoming trip to look at.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Joe

kfrimr
07-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Do any of you have pictures. I have one about to go but I am at a loss to understand where you are putting the hinge or how you are replacing the plastic. Sorry I am a little dense.
Kent

Diesel-Gypsy
07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi, in response to the broken plastic support I decided to do this: http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/42492/2731242490097642812S200x200Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2731242490097642812JjvNpH)

If you click on that pic it will take you to an album of 6 pics explaining in a little more detail just what I did.
It works very well, it is much stronger than the original system, and because I have the electric & gas lines sheathed, and anchored, it should be a long term fix.

Rick

wingnut60
07-30-2009, 10:42 AM
diesel-gypsy...
Thank you for the pictures--looks like I have found the solution to my problem. Just need to get back home and work off your pics.
Joe