PDA

View Full Version : Ice Maker Leak

keithandpenne
07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
We found the water line from the solenoid valve had deteriorated and was leaking. It looked like it was due to age and had broken into many small sections almost its entire length.

I replaced it with a new 1/4" line from the local hardware store and re-used the old heat tape by wrapping it to the water line with electrical tape, then another layer of silver metal duct tape.

This is another item to add to our maintenance check list as there is no way to tell it is deteriorating until it starts leaking and shows up as a wetness on the back tray of the fridge under the solenoid.

Diesel-Gypsy
07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
:lol: Yup, been there done that!
Not a bad job really, a little tricky getting that heating wire snugged-up the water line all the way up the back of the fridge to that upper fitting.

It's nice that all this stuff happens only when yoy have the time to fix it, and available stores to get parts...

Rick

traveler
07-18-2009, 09:30 AM
The heat tracing bakes the line from the solenoid to the icemaker. I think this will happen to any line is a few years. I remove the heat tracing. It is simple to do. I live in Texas and only travel north for a couple of months in the summer. I think that the chance of the line freezing is very remote, especially if the refrigerator is running.If I lived in the north, I might want the line.

In any case the leak is not much and only happens when the icemaker is filling.