PDA

View Full Version : drv weights

sje
04-11-2009, 10:36 AM
on drvs spec. brochures they list a 36tk3 select suite at 2800lbs pin weight and 12700 total weight dry. the mobile suite is listed at 2900 lbs pin weight and 13200 total dry weight. everyone talks how much heavier the mobile suites are, but this is only a small amount less than 5%. I have read the weigh in totals that have been done at some rallies. MY question is are the dry weights close or is drv just estimating on their specs sheets to make it easier to sell units.

billr
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
The spec dry wts are off a fair bit! I can't comment on the Select Suite, but our 38RL3 was 1500lbs heavier (scaled) right out of the dealer before loading a toothpick in it, also it had no water at all. It did have propane full and 2 batteries, which they don't count. From what I understand they also don't count most options, like heavier suspensions, bigger tires, trail air, AC units, TV's etc.

The Average 36 TK3 MS rolling down the road loaded for weekend use with most of the usual options will have a 3400 plus pin wt and gross out at 16- 17K plus. Our 38 MS has a 3600 pin and gross at close to 17,800 lbs loaded for weekend use and about 1/4 full water. Those are scaled wts.

The only way to really know is to scale the trailer and truck and separate scale the truck and get the accurate wts. When folks give your thier wts for info, make sure they have done that. Guessing from the spec sheet or even the placard on the trailer will not be even close. And a lot of people do this.

If you post your question on here http://suitesowners.com/forums/index.php , there are more folks with specific info on the Select to maybe help you out comparing.

They are no light wt trailer for sure, but they are REAL nice! Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Mikey
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
As Bill has said, the Drv's are heavy and "REALLY nice"
Here are some weights from actual Suites

2blackdogs
04-12-2009, 06:41 AM
IMO the only way to consider weights is to use the GVWR and figure 25% as the pin weight. When you are rolling down the road loaded you will be close to those figures. My GVWR is 20K and I'm around 19,400 and my pin is close to 4800#. We live in ours but at times for longer stays a camper will tend to load heavy. It's very important to look at the CCC of any unit. Some trailers you can only load in 1000-1500# along with water and propane and you're at the GVWR. We have about 3000# loaded for fulltiming.
Hope this helps a little.
Bob

sje
04-12-2009, 07:47 AM
thanks for the reply 2 black dogs. I have been doing a lot of research on the suites since i saw them at a show a couple of months ago. I was relegated to the idea of having to buy a select because of the wieght. I have a srw for diesel. I pull a 32 foot gooseneck trailer that weights 7000 and with my trencher it totals 19000. With the diesel it gets close to 26000. The truck pulls it with no problem, but i know its back there. With the same trailer and my bobcat, the total drops to 13700 and 20700, which is close to the listed dry weight of a mobile 36tk3. It pulls that very easily. The tailer has dual tandem axles and probably doesnt have much of a suspension compared to the rvs. We are not going to full time, just extended stay snowbirds. We haven't carried water, the last nine years we have used our rv, thats not to say we would not though. I thought i was sold on buying the select until the dealer priced the mobile at only 6000 more. I was kind of waiting to buy a new truck when ford comes out with their new diesel in 2011. sje

Motor31
04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
The first thing you need to do is forget all about the trailer dry weight or empty weight for towing. No one other than a trailer hauling company hauls an empty trailer. Use the max weight figure for the trailer for determining if your truck is rated for it. Also do not depend on the truck curb weight figures as that is based on half fuel and a light driver (150 lbs) on a truck without any load. Use a scale reading from your truck with full fuel, passengers and loaded as if traveling.

Just because the truck "gets it moving" does not mean you are in specs. It is possible to use an F150 (half ton) to get a 38' MS at 20k lbs "moving down the road". That doesn't mean the truck can really handle the load and tow any where near safely. It often takes a F450 or F550 equivalent truck to be in spec towing these heavy rigs, especially if you are getting one of the larger units.

We tow our rig with just a third tank (or less) of fresh water in case we get stuck somewhere by weather. If we towed with full fresh we would be over weight so we wait until we get to the destination to fill the fresh tank for dry camping.

terry and jo
04-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Regarding the Ford F450 and F550, with the 2009 models, the F550 rating for fifth wheel towing has a little, although minor, smaller rating than the F450.

Both have a GCVW rating of 33,000 pounds. The F450 2 wheel drive with the 6.4 liter engine and 4:30 rear end will tow 24,600 pounds. The F550 with 2 wheel drive, 6.4 liter engine and 4:88 rear end will tow 23,900 pounds. The F550 with that configeration also needs to have the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package to pull the specified weight.

700 pounds may not be much, but sometimes on mountain passes, it can make a difference. To some degree, creature comforts between the two models may make all the difference.