PDA

View Full Version : water filter

hmwilbur
02-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Has anyone come up with a "better idea" on how to change the water filter without getting water on the converter and all the other stuff under there? My husband is not a patient person and this job tends to raise the blood pressure. He has a bucket and sponges handy but never seems to do it without spilling some water. I did a water filter search but could find no one else with this complaint.

ponch
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
NOt me.
This will be an interesting post to watch.

hitchup
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
DH puts a tray under it and it has enough of a lip, that it catches all the water.

jack_diane_freedom
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Well I am just really careful and it is not a problem. Might spill a few drops but no more than that.

Huck
02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I turn the water off.

Then I open the cold water low point drain.

Then I replace the filter cartridge without any spillage at all.

I just have to be carefull not to tip the filter bowl while removing it from the fixture.

Motor31
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I put a small plastic rectangular pan under the filter to catch the water when I remove the filter. I have no trouble keeping the basement dry. Before I put the new filter on I empty the pan and put it in place while installing the cartridge cover again. That way the pan only has a few drops instead of the pint or so from removal. I also put a new coating of silicone grease on the "O" ring before putting it back together. In going on 5 years of full timing we are only on the second "O" ring.

golf_bears
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I do the same as Huck, in addition I place an old bath towel on the components beneath the filter to absorb any water spillage. Very simple procedure and requires little effort.

Huck
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't know if all DT units have a Surflow brand water filter or not, but mine does.

I had alot of trouble with the O-ring shrinking.

I have always had to cover it with Bag Bomb to get it to stay in the little groove long enough to get it back together.
I had one heck of a time the last time I changed my filter cartridge.

I e-mailed Shurflow and asked if they could send me a couple new O-rings and they did. I had them in a couple of days......FOR FREE!! WOW!!

47hook
02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Huck, are we talking about cold water shrinkage?

Actually, I had to replace the O ring because it grew! Then, I cut it putting it back on.

I use similar methods as described here, a pan with a towel on it to absorb whatever might spill. No big deal.

ponch
02-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Put the "O" ring in the freezer it will shrink back to size.

Carny Bill
02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Very clever ponch, I have fumbled with those "O" rings many times.

That is what I really like about this forum, the tips that can be learned.

Thanks......

Huck
02-10-2009, 08:54 AM
47hook, I stand corrected.
I did not get cold water shrinkage.
I had trouble with the O-ring expanding and not fitting into the groove....

47hook
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
So now we know how Huck got his groove back... :lol:

rdunk
02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Yes, the O'ring does grow. After wrestling with mine, I have found that putting a little Vaseline in the groove on the housing will hold the O'ring just fine. If you try this, you will probably still have my experience, which is, the O'ring will still seem too big. But suprisingly, if you continue to press the O'ring down, it will fit into the groove, and will stay down during the re-installation of the filter.

I don't fill the groove with Vaseline, but try to put just enough in to get the O'ring to stay-put. Always works for me!

Our unit is nearly four years old, and I am still using the original O'ring.

RonS
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Are we talking whole house filter or waterpump filter. If its water pump I took mine off once and could not see anything in the screen, so now just look thru the plastic cap to see how its doing. Water pump is only used when on the road anyway.

sr
02-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I removed mine completely and attached a bracket to the side of the trailer and attched the filter there. With this set up, I can filter the water before I fill the fresh water holding tank as well as filter the water on city hookups. Also I have installed a water softner in the belly of the unit as well. This way I can always have soft water in the fresh water holding tank as well through the city hook-up. This also keeps other people from borrowing the softner.

RodeWorthy
02-12-2009, 11:53 PM
After having difficulty with leak in my water softener cap I was alerted to Dow 111 O-ring and Valve Lubricant. Silicone based, it is very slick. It works great on the filter o-ring that will pull into place if placed carefully as described by Robert.

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-265-dow-111-o-ring-lubricant-5-gram-pillow-pack.aspx

Also available in 5.3 oz tube but that would be a lifetime supply. When I can get at it I am going to try this on my gray water valve too. Mine is really stiff to operate.

I use a surplus airline food service tray to catch whatever spills under the filter which is minimal. I bought several at 25 cents each. Very handy.

Motor31
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
I use a pure food grade silicone grease that I get from the scuba dive stores. It's used to lube "O" rings in breathing equipment. A small tub will go a long long way. The tub is very small and has a chain to hang it someplace where you can store it.

WildJohn
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I had no water one COLD morning and found the filter and all hoses attached frozen solid. I bypassed it and warmed it up .. haven't looked back.. I will put in a softner/filter system this spring (in a protected area further away from the door.)